+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian PR and citizenship time frame

yashwa7

Mar 23, 2018
I'm one of those unfortunate souls that's stuck in the Green card backlog despite having an advanced degree in the US. I'm an Indian citizen, and a software engineer in the USA for the last 7 years, and have a Masters in Computer Science from USA. I work for a major corporation in the bay area, my priority date is Dec 2012 and I have my I-140 approved. Of late, I feel the itch to experiment with startups but fear of losing job and leaving the country is holding me back. I find it crippling to continue in the same place where I am, and think it's going to be another 5 more years to get PR in the USA.

I noticed that my points are coming pretty high for Canada PR and I just wanted to know if there's a possibility that i will get an immediate PR. If so, I'm keen on moving from the USA where skilled workers are not being treated fairly. I happen to have a bought a home though in the Bay area that I'd just like to rent out if I moved. Any suggestions would be helpful.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm one of those unfortunate souls that's stuck in the Green card backlog despite having an advanced degree in the US. I'm an Indian citizen, and a software engineer in the USA for the last 7 years, and have a Masters in Computer Science from USA. I work for a major corporation in the bay area, my priority date is Dec 2012 and I have my I-140 approved. Of late, I feel the itch to experiment with startups but fear of losing job and leaving the country is holding me back. I find it crippling to continue in the same place where I am, and think it's going to be another 5 more years to get PR in the USA.

I noticed that my points are coming pretty high for Canada PR and I just wanted to know if there's a possibility that i will get an immediate PR. If so, I'm keen on moving from the USA where skilled workers are not being treated fairly. I happen to have a bought a home though in the Bay area that I'd just like to rent out if I moved. Any suggestions would be helpful.
Not sure how you define "immediate".

For processing times, assume six months from the time you submit your Canadian PR application to the time you are approved (although it could take longer or shorter). Note that this six month estimate is from the time you submit your application and you'll need a few months ahead of that to take the language test (if you haven't already), have your education officially assessed, enter the pool and wait to be selected, gather all of your supporting documents, etc.

To qualify to apply for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for a total of three out of the last five years. Assume application processing will take around 6 months after you qualify and apply.

Reactions: APPNOV2014NY

yashwa7

Mar 23, 2018
Not sure how you define "immediate".

For processing times, assume six months from the time you submit your Canadian PR application to the time you are approved (although it could take longer or shorter). Note that this six month estimate is from the time you submit your application and you'll need a few months ahead of that to take the language test (if you haven't already), have your education officially assessed, enter the pool and wait to be selected, gather all of your supporting documents, etc.

To qualify to apply for Canadian citizenship, you must have lived in Canada for a total of three out of the last five years. Assume application processing will take around 6 months after you qualify and apply.
Thank you for the response! I will give it a shot with the PR and see how it goes. I guess I lose nothing by applying except for money. I was thinking the time frame would be shorter than 6 months though.

ashu1710

Nov 7, 2016
Vancouver, BC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
21-12-2016

If your priority date is Dec 2012, I think you're being optimistic if you think your date will become current in 5 years. I think moving to Canada is the right decision.

yashwa7

Mar 23, 2018
If your priority date is Dec 2012, I think you're being optimistic if you think your date will become current in 5 years. I think moving to Canada is the right decision.
Sad to hear, thanks for the tip, will apply to Canada PR soon.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
You can trigger multiple process in parallel to shorten the Canadian PR time. Usual bottlenecks are IELTS availability, WES evaluation (getting your transcripts from India in a sealed envelope), PCC (for countries where you spent more than 6 months), Experience letters from your previous companies.

If you plan everything smartly, the prep time can be 1-2 months, and then after your submit your PR post ITA it usually takes 28-30 days nowadays (took 28 for me). So you are looking at 3-4 months end to end.

yashwa7

Mar 23, 2018
You can trigger multiple process in parallel to shorten the Canadian PR time. Usual bottlenecks are IELTS availability, WES evaluation (getting your transcripts from India in a sealed envelope), PCC (for countries where you spent more than 6 months), Experience letters from your previous companies.

If you plan everything smartly, the prep time can be 1-2 months, and then after your submit your PR post ITA it usually takes 28-30 days nowadays (took 28 for me). So you are looking at 3-4 months end to end.
Thank you for the response! That definitely helps to know! Will prepare accordingly. Weather seems to be the primary concern for us now with a 11 month old kid, so still haven't been able to make up my mind, especially with talks of HR 392 having wide support. What's the consequences of not making a move after getting a PR? Wonder what I lose by applying for Canada PR and potentially not being able to move after I get one.

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Thank you for the response! That definitely helps to know! Will prepare accordingly. Weather seems to be the primary concern for us now with a 11 month old kid, so still haven't been able to make up my mind, especially with talks of HR 392 having wide support. What's the consequences of not making a move after getting a PR? Wonder what I lose by applying for Canada PR and potentially not being able to move after I get one.
So you get a certain time frame after your get your PR approved to enter Canada. That's usually a year from the date of your medicals.You can enter Canada and come back just to get your PR activated.
If you don't enter Canada at all, or don't meet the residency status (3 out of 5 years) you'll forfeit your Canadian Residency. That's that - I guess you stand to lose application fees and cost associated with preparing documents. I don't want to get into opportunity costs since that's a different ball game.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So you get a certain time frame after your get your PR approved to enter Canada. That's usually a year from the date of your medicals.You can enter Canada and come back just to get your PR activated.
If you don't enter Canada at all, or don't meet the residency status (3 out of 5 years) you'll forfeit your Canadian Residency. That's that - I guess you stand to lose application fees and cost associated with preparing documents. I don't want to get into opportunity costs since that's a different ball game.
Correction the PR residency obligation is 2 years out of 5, the citizenship requirement is 3 years physical presence out of 5 years.

Reactions: Kuchbhi

Nqur

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06-2018
AOR Received.
25-05-2018

If you plan everything smartly, the prep time can be 1-2 months, and then after your submit your PR post ITA it usually takes 28-30 days nowadays (took 28 for me). So you are looking at 3-4 months end
Hi,
I got my FBI certificate in February 2018 and I was selected in the draw today. Do I need to get another certificate that is current? Please Help!

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Hi,
I got my FBI certificate in February 2018 and I was selected in the draw today. Do I need to get another certificate that is current? Please Help!
If you have not been outside of US since you got your FBI I think you should be fine :)

Nqur

Star Member
Feb 8, 2018
Category........
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
20-06-2018
AOR Received.
25-05-2018
If you have not been outside of US since you got your FBI I think you should be fine :)
Ok, thanks!
I lived in Pakistan for about 11 years and got a PCC from there that is until February 2018 as well. I haven’t been back since. That certificate should be fine too right?

Kuchbhi

Jul 16, 2017
Ok, thanks!
I lived in Pakistan for about 11 years and got a PCC from there that is until February 2018 as well. I haven’t been back since. That certificate should be fine too right?
yeah. The idea is that your PCC covers the last day of that country. Not applicable to the present country of course