+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CANADIAN OUTSIDE CANADA

chevchenko

Jun 3, 2005
Nigeria
A permanent Residence must spend 2 out of every 5yrs in Canada to retain his residence, after obtainig your citizenship, how long must you stay outside canada to retain your citizenship?

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
If that is true, then tell me why when u go to US..you can only be there six months and have to come back..even if an hour later you return?

melchan

Star Member
Jul 24, 2004
Kitchener, Ontario
The fact that you can only stay in the United States for 6 months and then are required to leave again has nothing to do with Canadian citizenship. That is simply United States policy regarding foreign vistors. That limit is only imposed if you don't have a visa which allows you to stay longer. Provided you have a visa, you're able to stay until your visa expires.

Canada has a similar policy regarding visitors with American citizenship. Americans are able to visit Canada for up to 6 months without needing a visitors visa. If they want to stay longer than six months than they have to go through the process of applying for a visitors visa (or a student visa, or even a work visa).

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D Thanks for clearing that up for me..I knew about the visa for student and working but never gave much thought to it. I knew about Canada I should have applied it to US also..jeeze where is my mind these days.. :lol: