+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Job Market for Credit analyst (banking)

Feb 28, 2020
I would like to know the job opportunities for a Credit Analyst/Risk Analyst in canadian banking system. It is closely related to financial analysis.
With an MBA in finance and a 3 year job experience what are my chances of finding a job in a similar role in a Bank/Financial institution in Canada

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I would like to know the job opportunities for a Credit Analyst/Risk Analyst in canadian banking system. It is closely related to financial analysis.
With an MBA in finance and a 3 year job experience what are my chances of finding a job in a similar role in a Bank/Financial institution in Canada
Highly competitive because there are tons of people coming from various parts of the world including London and HK. Canada is still a relatively small market. Really depends on what you are doing now.

Feb 28, 2020
Highly competitive because there are tons of people coming from various parts of the world including London and HK. Canada is still a relatively small market. Really depends on what you are doing now.
im really grateful for the reply. Would i require any additional certification to work in banking or the finance field in general?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
im really grateful for the reply. Would i require any additional certification to work in banking or the finance field in general?
You’ll need to speak with someone working in that department. Do you have international experience? Did you attend an internationally recognized MBA school that a Canadian would recognize? Many foreign applicants don’t have their MBAs and other qualifications recognized as equal to Canadian, US or other European degrees. It doesn’t always make sense to move to Canada. Just want to paint an accurate picture that there are so many people just on this forum trying to move to Canada who are working in finance jobs around the world. Big finance is also trying to become leaner and adjust to fintech. Connections and something like a CFA usually gets. you an interview.

Wluld try to reach out to a few people working in your desired area and give a very brief overview of your situation and ask what they think the job market is like, what extra qualifications would be good for you to get and would they encourage you to move to Canada if you want to work in credit/risk analyst.

Reactions: SankethNarayan
Feb 28, 2020
You’ll need to speak with someone working in that department. Do you have international experience? Did you attend an internationally recognized MBA school that a Canadian would recognize? Many foreign applicants don’t have their MBAs and other qualifications recognized as equal to Canadian, US or other European degrees. It doesn’t always make sense to move to Canada. Just want to paint an accurate picture that there are so many people just on this forum trying to move to Canada who are working in finance jobs around the world. Big finance is also trying to become leaner and adjust to fintech. Connections and something like a CFA usually gets. you an interview.

Wluld try to reach out to a few people working in your desired area and give a very brief overview of your situation and ask what they think the job market is like, what extra qualifications would be good for you to get and would they encourage you to move to Canada if you want to work in credit/risk analyst.
My bachelors is in Engineering and I do have an MBA in international business from a German University in addition to a Masters in Finance from India and a 3 year work ex in corporate Banking. But i do understand that it doesnt mean much if the Banking scenario is completely different in Canada. Thats what i really want to understand, since finance is something i am passionate about and i don't want to compromise that for any other kind of job.
Im glad you took the time out to give me such insight. Im looking for the right network and connections.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My bachelors is in Engineering and I do have an MBA in international business from a German University in addition to a Masters in Finance from India and a 3 year work ex in corporate Banking. But i do understand that it doesnt mean much if the Banking scenario is completely different in Canada. Thats what i really want to understand, since finance is something i am passionate about and i don't want to compromise that for any other kind of job.
Im glad you took the time out to give me such insight. Im looking for the right network and connections.
Is there some reason you aren’t consider other international locations? You are likely going to have better opportunities that likely pay better.

Feb 28, 2020
Is there some reason you aren’t consider other international locations? You are likely going to have better opportunities that likely pay better.
I did but most EU countries have a language barrier and Australia does not have finance in the skill shortage unless its for a CA/CFA. NZ has a small market with limited jobs.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I did but most EU countries have a language barrier and Australia does not have finance in the skill shortage unless its for a CA/CFA. NZ has a small market with limited jobs.
Canada doesn’t have a skill shortage for most finance jobs either. You haven‘t mentioned any of the Asian finance centres. The list of jobs that are approved don’t always make sense. Canada accepts so many pharmacists and dentists although graduating students in Canada can’t find jobs and salaries have decreased dramatically due to oversupply. That is why I say that you need to speak to people working in the industry.