+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian home address as work location

ustocanada49

Star Member
Jan 6, 2017
Hi All,
My employer is doing h1 amendment. New position is 100 percent WFH and they will be putting my home address as second work location. Office far away from border but I will never be going there anyway. Can I ask them to put my Canadian address in there or putting an address on US side of border is recommended? Anyone has Canadian address on h1 and payroll?

Thanks in advance for answering

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,
My employer is doing h1 amendment. New position is 100 percent WFH and they will be putting my home address as second work location. Office far away from border but I will never be going there anyway. Can I ask them to put my Canadian address in there or putting an address on US side of border is recommended? Anyone has Canadian address on h1 and payroll?

Thanks in advance for answering
If it is a WFH job then your home address would be the primary job location not the secondary.

mayple

Star Member
Dec 30, 2017
100 percent work from home or 100 percent remote? If you're not living in the US, then it can't technically be 100 work from home because home is where you live. If you're living in Canada, you can have a job that is 100 percent remote home based in Canada, in which case you will have to be on a Canadian payroll not US. If your office is somewhere in the US close to the border, then that could be the primary work location with expectation that you work there on a routine basis - you may still work from Canadian home occasionally. They don't need to put anything on the application regarding Canadian home being a worksite because US immigration laws stop at the US border

Reactions: swan0206