+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian citizen working in US on H1B

rhea2722

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
I'm a Canadian citizen and my spouse is in India (Indian citizen).

I came to US in Feb'22 on TN visa -> Got selected in the H1B lottery & was issued an I797 (to be activated after 1st Oct'22).

We wanted to get my spouse (Indian citizen currently residing in India) an H4 stamping in India (allowed 90 days before 1st Oct). We got a dropbox appointment for Aug 12th, however the dropbox agents refused to take the application since they wanted to see my (principal applicant's) current visa stamp on my Canadian passport.

As a Canadian citizen, I'm visa exempt to enter US. I only have my TN "entry stamp" on my passport (which wasn't sufficient for the dropbox office). And even after I activate my H1B, I'll just have my "H1B entry stamp" on my passport, not a "photo" based visa.

Has anyone else gone through this scenario? What should be my next steps?

Reactions: trv_237

Learner02

Aug 5, 2022

I came to US in Feb'22 on TN visa -> Got selected in the H1B lottery & was issued an I797 (to be activated after 1st Oct'22).

We wanted to get my spouse (Indian citizen currently residing in India) an H4 stamping in India (allowed 90 days before 1st Oct). We got a dropbox appointment for Aug 12th, however the dropbox agents refused to take the application since they wanted to see my (principal applicant's) current visa stamp on my Canadian passport.

As a Canadian citizen, I'm visa exempt to enter US. I only have my TN "entry stamp" on my passport (which wasn't sufficient for the dropbox office). And even after I activate my H1B, I'll just have my "H1B entry stamp" on my passport, not a "photo" based visa.

The agent is ignorant. I hope I have other suggestions for you.

trv_237

Sep 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent-04-11-2016, Received- 07-11-2016
AOR Received.
SA-Nov 30th, AOR2- 19th December-2016

I am in similar situation. A canadian citizen with approved H1b, sent passport for dropbox appointment, they refused stamp.