+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canadian Citizen Moving Back to Nova Scotia

Lynne Kovan

May 9, 2010
Hi,

I have lived in the UK for 50 years, having moved here from Nova Scotia at the age of nine. I got British nationality a few years ago, but have also kept my Canadian passport and thus, I assume, my citizenship. I have now decided to retire to Nova Scotia with my American husband. Does anyone know what issues we might face, in terms of achieving permanent residency, especially as I will be retired on a UK pension. My husband will still be working as a scientifc journalist for an American company.

We want to move in about 18 months or so, but I want to know what I should be doing in preparation now.

Best wishes,

Lynne

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Lynne Kovan said:
Hi,

I have lived in the UK for 50 years, having moved here from Nova Scotia at the age of nine. I got British nationality a few years ago, but have also kept my Canadian passport and thus, I assume, my citizenship. I have now decided to retire to Nova Scotia with my American husband. Does anyone know what issues we might face, in terms of achieving permanent residency, especially as I will be retired on a UK pension. My husband will still be working as a scientifc journalist for an American company.

We want to move in about 18 months or so, but I want to know what I should be doing in preparation now.

Best wishes,

Lynne
As you are a Canadian citizen, you can sponsor your spouse while residing abroad. You have to submit the application and sponsorship to Mississauga and after approval/refusal the application would be processed in London. Your spouse will have to do criminal records checks for any country he has resided in for 6 months or more since the age of 18 and as well have a medical exam. See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/fc.asp for the sponsorship and application. You don't have to meet the Low Income Cutoff as spousal applicants are exempt. You will have to include a statement of where you will live in Canada and what plans you have made. As the visa will only be valid for 1 year after the date of the medical, you should probably start gathering the information in about 5 months. Note the police reports cannot be older than 3 months when submitted.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Out of curiosity (it doesn't apply to me or my wife), where an applicant has lived in several countries, must he or she travel to those countries to get a police report? How onerous!!

Perhaps in some countries police reports can be ordered over the Internet or by phone, but I am certain that in some developing countries this is not possible.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I dare say in most developing countries they will at least have a post office. That is how we did things back before the internet. In some cases, you can find the address of the police headquarters in that country and phone or mail them to find out what you have to do for a police report. In some cases, you do it through the embassy of that country. I only had to do that FBI one and it was done through mail. I mailed them my fingerprints and they mailed me my PCC. I have never heard of anybody having to travel to another country to get a PCC.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

toby said:
Out of curiosity (it doesn't apply to me or my wife), where an applicant has lived in several countries, must he or she travel to those countries to get a police report? How onerous!!

Perhaps in some countries police reports can be ordered over the Internet or by phone, but I am certain that in some developing countries this is not possible.
If you really want to know, check each country here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/security/police-cert/index.asp

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Another great source of information, PMM. Thanks.

Leon: I looked up the requirements for Costa Rica -- reputedly one of the more advanced Latin countries -- and it looks indeed as if one must travel there physically to get a police report.

How to obtain a police certificate
Costa Rica

Do I need to provide a police certificate when applying for permanent residence?
Yes.

How and where do I obtain one?
The Poder Judicial, Dirección Ejecutiva, Registro Judicial issues a document indicating previous convictions. To obtain this document, applicants should present a letter from the Canadian visa office requesting the certificate with their full name, full names of parents, date and place of birth, passport or identification number, aliases, etc. and an original identification document or passport, plus applicable fees. Payments for police certificates are made at Edificio de los Tribunales, ground floor, in front of the Organismo de Investigación Judicial. Applications must be made in person at:

Registro Judicial
Costado Norte del Edificio OIJ
Calle 19, Avenida 6,
San José, Costa Rica
Telephone: 2295-3682

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, it definitely looks like you would have to travel there. However, if I was in the situation of needing a PCC from there, I would definitely contact them and make sure before buying the plane tickets. Maybe it can also be done through an embassy.