+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada website says "You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR.and you won’t be able to validate it this way."

art26

Jul 14, 2021
Hi,

I am currently on H1B with no visa stamp. My COPR expires on Aug 6th, so i have to do a soft landing and use AVR to return. But the Canada website says "You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR. This is not considered essential travel and you won’t be able to validate it this way ". My questions are -

1) How are we then able to do soft landing and use AVR if the website says we cannot do it?
2) I am currently changing jobs and my H1B transfer is being premium processed. The approval might come in the next couple of weeks. Will I have my approval notice also soon so i can take the 797 and i94 to do soft landing and return? Or should I take my current H1B documents and go and come back before the transfer is done.

Please advise.

CanVisaUser77

Jun 30, 2021
Reading various posts on forums you need to a chance, at I think its upto officer to decide wether or not they allow landing.
As for AVR - AVR has nothing to do with landing as long as you have valid passport, I797 approved and a job you should be able to comeback, check with your company attorney.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi,

I am currently on H1B with no visa stamp. My COPR expires on Aug 6th, so i have to do a soft landing and use AVR to return. But the Canada website says "You should not travel to a port of entry to validate your COPR. This is not considered essential travel and you won’t be able to validate it this way ". My questions are -

1) How are we then able to do soft landing and use AVR if the website says we cannot do it?
2) I am currently changing jobs and my H1B transfer is being premium processed. The approval might come in the next couple of weeks. Will I have my approval notice also soon so i can take the 797 and i94 to do soft landing and return? Or should I take my current H1B documents and go and come back before the transfer is done.

Please advise.
1. People travel even though its advised not to go for soft landing. One should not play with immigration rules. Its serious if entry is denied. We never know if some officer is playing by the books. Just wait for their advice on travel is my opinion. Denial records stay for ever which is headache.
2.1: You should travel only after pending H1 is approved. If you have enough time in your COPR then why to do it.
2.2: Not all uscis officer will issue extended I94 after international travel(traveling to Canada and return back). I94 gets extended only when you are on status. If he/she sees that you are not in country on that day then he/she might not issue new I94.