+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Quarantine Period

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello All,

Do you guys think this quarantine condition is over by July 21 or it will continue till end of this year??? Is it wise decision to go for landing next week and quarantine for 2 weeks or else wait till July 21 so that may be quarantine condition is over?? Any thoughts will appreciated.

swathsu

Jan 2, 2018
Hi, after landing and before getting SIN, I.e. during SIN processing time, can we work for a non-Canadian employer? Do we need SIN or some work authorization at all to work for non-Canadian employer while in Canada during the quarantine period? Thank you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi, after landing and before getting SIN, I.e. during SIN processing time, can we work for a non-Canadian employer? Do we need SIN or some work authorization at all to work for non-Canadian employer while in Canada during the quarantine period? Thank you.
You are PR. You can work legally in Canada. There is nothing to restrict in choosing Canadian or NonCanadian.
You dont need to have SIN before you start work.
Now during pandemic, there should be rule to allow giving SIN in later period. Just call the SIN support number and find out more how they handle current situation. I am sure that you are not the first one to ask this question to them as there are 100z of people moving every week and they too face the same problem. So just call them.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html
"If a new employee does not have a SIN and is eligible to work in Canada, instruct the employee to apply for a SIN at a Service Canada office. "

swathsu

Jan 2, 2018
You are PR. You can work legally in Canada. There is nothing to restrict in choosing Canadian or NonCanadian.
You dont need to have SIN before you start work.
Now during pandemic, there should be rule to allow giving SIN in later period. Just call the SIN support number and find out more how they handle current situation. I am sure that you are not the first one to ask this question to them as there are 100z of people moving every week and they too face the same problem. So just call them.
https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/ei-employers-sin.html
"If a new employee does not have a SIN and is eligible to work in Canada, instruct the employee to apply for a SIN at a Service Canada office. "
Thank you for your time and the response. I understand there may be more people like me. I have been trying to call contact number listed on the SIn page since past week but unable to reach to them. My non-Canadian employer asked for work authorization or some sort of email to show that I could work while in Canada before I get my SIn. Thank you.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thank you for your time and the response. I understand there may be more people like me. I have been trying to call contact number listed on the SIn page since past week but unable to reach to them. My non-Canadian employer asked for work authorization or some sort of email to show that I could work while in Canada before I get my SIn. Thank you.
Your landing document copy should be enough to show that you are in PR status which is the only document which shows that you are granted permanent residence. Ask them to refer the govt website about COPR.
https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=797

i am guessing that they are new(or they are reluctant without SIN) but ask them to check online that its taking time to receive SIN due to offices closed due to covid and it needs to be applied online/mail which takes weeks to get.

But still you said you want to work only during quarantine period alone? Then you cant even get this number within 2 weeks.

Possibly 866 number is blocked from outside. So try the other number but you should have Canada calling feature in your cell plan.
"Service Canada at 1-866-274-6627. If calling from outside Canada, dial 506-548-7961"

swathsu

Jan 2, 2018
Your landing document copy should be enough to show that you are in PR status which is the only document which shows that you are granted permanent residence. Ask them to refer the govt website about COPR.

i am guessing that they are new(or they are reluctant without SIN) but ask them to check online that its taking time to receive SIN due to offices closed due to covid and it needs to be applied online/mail which takes weeks to get.

But still you said you want to work only during quarantine period alone? Then you cant even get this number within 2 weeks.

Possibly 866 number is blocked from outside. So try the other number but you should have Canada calling feature in your cell plan.
"Service Canada at 1-866-274-6627. If calling from outside Canada, dial 506-548-7961"
No, I don’t mean just during quarantine period. I meant between applying for SIN and before I get the approved application/number; more than the quarantine period too. I did mention during quarantine but I was of the impression that we can get SIN within 2 weeks. I did call the 1866 number and that’s the number I am unable to reach to a person. Maybe I should email them and see. Thank you.

swathsu

Jan 2, 2018

I was able to talk to SIN personnel. You are right. They said COPR/PR is authorization enough to start working or continue working for an employer. Once we receive the SIN, must submit it to the employer so the employer does the necessary work at their end. Thank you for your time and help.