+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR holder with US H1B Visa working remote from canada

srinikrish

Star Member
Dec 23, 2017
Hello,

I would like to know if there will be H1B extension issues if the H1B holder is working remotely from canada for the US client and getting paid in USD.
The taxation part is partly clear as we would need to file as a non-resident alien in US and then report the same to CRA.
But since, H1B is location bound to particular city in US and if we work remotely from a different country, does it have any impact on H1B extensions or Greencard filing. I already have I140 approval.

Thanks,
Krish

arpita.k20

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,

I have a similar question, therefore posting it on this thread.
I am working on H1B visa right now. I am planning to move to Windsor Ontario in coming few months. Can I work remotely from Windsor, ON on H1B? On H1B can my home address be in Canada(when I am working 100% remote)?
I want to make sure I am not violating my H1B visa status, if I move to Ontario. My plan is to stay in Windsor for 3 years till I get my Canadian citizenship(I currently have Canadian PR)
Please let me know if someone is doing this already. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Arpita

sk1983

Oct 23, 2018
Hi,

I have a similar question, therefore posting it on this thread.
I am working on H1B visa right now. I am planning to move to Windsor Ontario in coming few months. Can I work remotely from Windsor, ON on H1B? On H1B can my home address be in Canada(when I am working 100% remote)?
I want to make sure I am not violating my H1B visa status, if I move to Ontario. My plan is to stay in Windsor for 3 years till I get my Canadian citizenship(I currently have Canadian PR)
Please let me know if someone is doing this already. Any advice is appreciated

Thanks
Arpita
Hi Arpita

we are also in same boat.. hope you got answers to your questions now... would appreciate if you can share your experience or process you are following.... we are planning to move in June... currently on h1 b and have canadian pr

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Arpita

we are also in same boat.. hope you got answers to your questions now... would appreciate if you can share your experience or process you are following.... we are planning to move in June... currently on h1 b and have canadian pr
Would suggest speaking to your US employer as the first step to see if they are comfortable with you working from Canada on your H1B.

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
Hello,

I would like to know if there will be H1B extension issues if the H1B holder is working remotely from canada for the US client and getting paid in USD.
The taxation part is partly clear as we would need to file as a non-resident alien in US and then report the same to CRA.
But since, H1B is location bound to particular city in US and if we work remotely from a different country, does it have any impact on H1B extensions or Greencard filing. I already have I140 approval.

Thanks,
Krish
My H1 extension was approved while I was in Canada (2020). The processing times were normal. I worked remotely from Canada and got paid in USD.

Dattateja

Star Member
Jun 3, 2020
My H1 extension was approved while I was in Canada (2020). The processing times were normal. I worked remotely from Canada and got paid in USD.
Hi, may I know for how long you have been working remotely in Canada before you applied for extension? To be more precise, have you visited USA on a regular basis or irregular bases during that period? Just trying to figure out if we need to travel to USA?

owleroz

Feb 22, 2018
Hi, may I know for how long you have been working remotely in Canada before you applied for extension? To be more precise, have you visited USA on a regular basis or irregular bases during that period? Just trying to figure out if we need to travel to USA?
I was working remotely in Canada for 6 months and then applied for an extension through the work legal team. I did not visit US at all when the renewal was started and being processed (COVID lockdown).