+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you go to USA a week after you Land?

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
My wife got her PR visa last week, and we were planning on going on honeymoon in florida a few days after she lands here. I'm unclear on a few things

1. Does she need a Visa to the states, or since she's a per. rez she wouldn't just like I wouldnt since I am canadian citizen?

2. If she does need a visa, can we try to get one on her Jordanian passport before she even comes to canada?

3. Since the PR card takes a while to get to us, can she actually GO to the states and get back into canada without her PR card?

Not really sure how it works, but i basically need her to land here then go to the states a few days later. HOW DO WE DO THIS??

thanks for any input!!

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes, if she obtains a travel document from the Canadian Embassy

Rasha

Apr 26, 2008
Al.Abed said:
My wife got her PR visa last week, and we were planning on going on honeymoon in florida a few days after she lands here. I'm unclear on a few things

1. Does she need a Visa to the states, or since she's a per. rez she wouldn't just like I wouldnt since I am canadian citizen?

2. If she does need a visa, can we try to get one on her Jordanian passport before she even comes to canada?

3. Since the PR card takes a while to get to us, can she actually GO to the states and get back into canada without her PR card?

Not really sure how it works, but i basically need her to land here then go to the states a few days later. HOW DO WE DO THIS??

thanks for any input!!
AS a PR, you cannot travel outside of Canada without a Valid Travel Document. If you do not have your PR Card, then you must obtain a Travel Document from the CIC, search Travel Docs...{http://www.ci.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp) - this is for ppl applying outside of Canada ..but it's similar to what you would require....}

I know that in certain circumstances, a PR Card can be rushed, with proof of travel, etc...but this is usually if you are in need of a renewal/replacement, not the initial one since 2002.

Finally, Canadian PR status has nothing to do with ease of travel into the US - it is based on CITIZENSHIP. If you are from a country which is visa-exempt with the US, then travelling on your current passport will allow you to visit US without a visa. If you are not from a visa-exempt country, then you will need a visa. I know in Canada, you can book an appointment and the visa is $130.00 - not certain about obtaining in Jordan...

as while the idea of it is realistic, They may require some documents that you physically have in CAnada, that your wife will need to apply for it. For example, why are you travelling, who are you travelling with, proof of existance in Canada [i.e. not a flight risk etc...] As her sponsoring spouse, you might need to provide proof of income, housing etc.. to show establishment in Canada - and within a weeks' time, might be pushing it. Further, I have no idea how long it will take to get a visitor's visa in Jordan to the US.....

Here in Canada, you call the 1, 900#, make the appointment, and you can have it quickly.

Suggestions are to call the US Counsulate here in Ottawa, or go to the website: https://www.nvars.com/Production/userhome.aspx

sorry can't be more specific - I'm a US Cit, dont' know what your circumstances are.

salam

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Thanks Rasha for the Info, I will call around and see what can be done.

basically, I will be goin to Jordan 3 weeks after she comes, visit people, do a full wedding, and bring her here right away, then I wanted to go to florida for honeymoon. My vacation is gonna be 6 weeks total and would really like my honeymoon right after we get back. i cant take more time off work after she gets her PR card, and she really wants to go to disneyworld.

i'm well established here, job, car, house, etc, so maybe if we explain our case that we just want a honeymoon.

so I guess she would need both a visa AND travel documents...and all has to be done in 3 days... not lookin like its gonna happen. :(

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It could happen. Check out the US Embassy website for Jordan and see how long they take to make a decision on visitor requests. Most embassies do it in the same day. She can provide her PR visa to Canada and all of the proof of YOUR establishment in Canada. They basically just want to be sure she won't STAY in the US. With you there with her, it could help. You never know until you try.

And, if you are successful and get the visitor's visa from the US, you could both fly directly to the US from Jordan and she can "land" in Canada from the US. Also, if you fly from Canada, she can re-enter Canada with her a copy COPR, or at least that what I've read on this forum, assuming she is travelling by air.