+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get social assistance (welfare) if you were sponsored?

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Hi,
this is just a general question I'm wondering about. After reading a few posts on here, some people are getting into canada on sponsorship then breaking up and then the sponsored person going on welfare so the sponsor has to pay that back.

I was always under the impression that the sponsored person does NOT qualify for any financial assistance from the government. How are they getting it? I was always told that if you try to apply for anything, you will get rejected since you are sponsored.

arewethereyet

Sep 2, 2009
UK
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2009
Passport Req..
22-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
13-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-12-2009

mitamata

Nov 21, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-02-2009
AOR Received.
27-03-2009
Med's Done....
03-12-2008
Passport Req..
29-04-2009
VISA ISSUED...
06-05-2009
LANDED..........
27-07-2009
Yes, any social assistance the sponsored person receives, the sponsor has to pay back to the government. But you CAN get it, just like any other person.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can get it. I saw an interview on TV with a woman who was a victim of a marriage scam. She sponsored her husband to Canada and as soon as he arrived, he said, "You are really not my type" and left. Later she found out that he went and claimed welfare, only because she got the bill for it. Welfare is only about $500 a month though. After several months in Canada, he'd managed to get himself on disability and that is more like $1000 or 1200 and she got the bill for that as well. Now she wanted to know the nature of his disability because she was not aware that he was in any way disabled and she was told by the government that it was none of her business because telling her, even though she was paying for it, would be violating his privacy.

However, if you did that, your sponsor could turn around and try to get your PR cancelled for marriage scam. It's not common for that to happen but it has happened in some cases.

fairouzm

Mar 13, 2008
Hello al abed...

You can get it in some provinces... because they can't leave you go on the streets... but then you have to pay for it.... However, in Alberta there are lots of programs if you apply for you don't qualify for because you are sponsored... one of them like housing assistance.... they say you will be qualified in 3 years...

seriously i don't see this as fair because if you think about it... new immigrants such as skilled workers class or any other type... they can get welfare right away...so why not our spouses... ( we pay taxes) ...

I know people who only pay 200 for rent... and we have to pay so much money for rent... you know things happen when you get married to someone who is not established in canada yet... I know very sad stories... one of my friends... she was sponsored.. so she didnt' qualify for many assistance programs because her three years didn't finish..she was divorced by her sponsor (not her fault) she can't even pay bills to get a lawyer to get some money from him... she has a daughter as well...

She is working so she is making it very easy for him...

anyways...3 years is better than 10 years for some people... i am glad my hubby is working and we don't need to go through this...

martha marita

Aug 1, 2007
Yep! the rule applies in ontario. The sponsored person can turn against you and collect it but they will not let you know other than bill you in the end.

So be careful when sponsoring someone

canbrit

Star Member
Jan 25, 2009
I understand that the sponsor would be responsible for paying back anything collected by the sponsored person.

What about the sponsor themselves. I am applying to sponsor my husband. We plan to have children within the next 3 years, so I expect I would collect EI (employment insurance). What happens there? Am I still able to collect that, if I'm sponsoring my husband?

Al.Abed

Star Member
Aug 27, 2009
Thanks everyone, that clears things up
and canbrit, i think everything still applies as it did before you sponsor your husband. if you qualified before, then you will qualify after.

camila447

Sep 20, 2018
Hi, old thread I know, but found it during a google search.

What would exactly qualify as social assistance for the person being sponsored in this case? Is it only wellfare, or any kind of assistance for example, unemployment, assistance for a child born in Canada?

Thank you

Sarax

Oct 30, 2019
Hi

I have a question, I know someone who sponsor her husband inside Canada not outside , but after a few years they broke up, not because her husband did fraud just the marriage didn’t work out ,cuz of a family problem, now they are separated but she has no income she wanna go on welfare, is that gonna effect the case .that she sponsor him ?

Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hi

I have a question, I know someone who sponsor her husband inside Canada not outside , but after a few years they broke up, not because her husband did fraud just the marriage didn’t work out ,cuz of a family problem, now they are separated but she has no income she wanna go on welfare, is that gonna effect the case .that she sponsor him ?

Thank you
She can go on welfare.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

Thank you
She likely was working if she was able to sponsor him. Why can’t she work now? Welfare is such a small amount of money she is much better off working even for minimum wage.