+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can my common law partner stay with me in Canada on a tourist visa while we wait for his approval?

kellymariefw

Jan 6, 2020
Hello,
I am a Canadian living with my American fiance in the USA. We have applied for his permanent residency through the family class and are waiting for it to be approved.
My visa to live in the USA expires in August, so I will have to move home at that point. If my fiance does not have his permanent residency by then, can he come with me to Canada on a tourist visa while we wait for his application to be approved? Assuming that the government has opened the borders to Americans again, of course.
We realize that he would only be able to stay on a tourist visa for 6 months but hopefully it would be approved before it expired.
Also, if we were to go that route, would he need to maintain a US address? Or could we both change our addresses with Canada Immigration to my Canadian address?
Thank you

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,
I am a Canadian living with my American fiance in the USA. We have applied for his permanent residency through the family class and are waiting for it to be approved.
My visa to live in the USA expires in August, so I will have to move home at that point. If my fiance does not have his permanent residency by then, can he come with me to Canada on a tourist visa while we wait for his application to be approved? Assuming that the government has opened the borders to Americans again, of course.
We realize that he would only be able to stay on a tourist visa for 6 months but hopefully it would be approved before it expired.
Also, if we were to go that route, would he need to maintain a US address? Or could we both change our addresses with Canada Immigration to my Canadian address?
Thank you
He could come to Canada and apply to extend his status if needed. He would be entering a visitor and need to act as such, i.e. only a couple of bags, not saying he's "moving" to Canada.

You would both change your address to your Canadian one.