+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I use expired IELTS certificate to apply for Canadian citizenship?

Jan 25, 2022
Hi,

I hope you are all well.

My name is Viktor and I got a question about an English test, which I need to do to apply for Canadian citizenship. My question is - can I use my General IELTS test results (I did this test in 2013 in the UK) to apply for citizenship? I did not do it specifically for Canadian immigration and also it expired. Also, I just have a scanned copy of it as I cannot find an original certificate, it’s been a while since I passed it, so will a copy of it work to apply for citizenship?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,
Viktor

comerunning19

Sep 12, 2019
Canada
Hi,

I hope you are all well.

My name is Viktor and I got a question about an English test, which I need to do to apply for Canadian citizenship. My question is - can I use my General IELTS test results (I did this test in 2013 in the UK) to apply for citizenship? I did not do it specifically for Canadian immigration and also it expired. Also, I just have a scanned copy of it as I cannot find an original certificate, it’s been a while since I passed it, so will a copy of it work to apply for citizenship?

Many thanks.

Kind regards,
Viktor
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility/language-proof.html

International English Language Testing System (IELTS) General Training
Your test date: On or after November 28, 2008
To apply for Canadian citizenship, your results need to be:

• Listening: 4.5 or higher
  • Speaking: 4.0 or higher
If your results are high enough, include a copy of your test results (even if they’re expired) with your citizenship application.

If you lost or need a copy of your results, contact IELTS.

If your results are not high enough, find other language proof you can submit.

Jan 25, 2022
Many thanks for this reply. I just want to clarify one thing. I have also red in many forums that expired language certificate is accepted to apply for Canadian citizenship only when the same certificate was used when applied for Canadian immigration. So, if i didn’t use it during my immigration process, because my wife was the main applicant in Express Entry program, her certificate was enough, can I still use it for the citizenship application?

Please advice.

Jan 25, 2022
Many thanks for this reply. I just want to clarify one thing. I have also red in many forums that expired language certificate is accepted to apply for Canadian citizenship only when the same certificate was used when applied for Canadian immigration. So, if i didn’t use it during my immigration process, because my wife was the main applicant in Express Entry program, her certificate was enough, can I still use it for the citizenship application?

Please advice.

amuman

Jan 14, 2018
Hi Viktor. Just wanted to check did you use expired ielts for citizenship? If so was it accepted?

furrukhrao

Jun 13, 2015

Please advice.
Yes use the same or a different doesn't matter.