+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I keep working when I apply for my bridging visa?

gullablejoe1

Jul 9, 2019
My work permit expires on the 26th of September, I have my PR application in and I should hear something back from it by the 18th of October. I will need to apply for a bridging visa and that will take time. If I have applied for that but I haven't heard anything back, can I still work in Canada or do I have to wait until I hear something back about the bridging visa?

gullablejoe1

Jul 9, 2019
Thanks, I was starting to worry. I heard form some people that after the 26th and if I haven't heard anything back about the bridging visa then I would have to stop working. Since the expiry date and the date of PR is meant to be so close together (I know it can take longer than the estimated time they state for PR) is there any advantage or disadvantage to waiting until September before applying for the BOWP?

ContactFront

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2017
I heard form some people that after the 26th and if I haven't heard anything back about the bridging visa then I would have to stop working.
Wrong. As long as you apply before your current permit expires, you can keep working.

is there any advantage or disadvantage to waiting until September before applying for the BOWP?
The only "advantage", if you will, is if your PR application is approved well before your permit expires. You don't have to pay for another permit.
However when it can be approved is out of your control. So apply for BOWP sooner than later. If you somehow screwed up your BOWP application the first time, which many people do, you would still have time to submit a second application.

gullablejoe1

Jul 9, 2019
I do have a new passport on the way from Ireland, I am unsure how long that will take. Should I wait for that to arrive or just apply now?