+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I cross the border from US by my car and Temporary tags on it?

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
Hey guys ...
I have a question please?

i don`t want to pay tax twice here in US and there in Canada for the same car.
and i just got this car now before my landing in Canada .
and i issued a registration by my name and temporary tags for 30 days.
and my name is still in the back of the previous owner title.
so can i cross the border with this way?
or i have to flip the title and issue a new one with my name on the front and i must pay the tax of this car??

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Not enough information to answer your question. What type of temporary tags do you have? Some temp tags only allow you to drive the vehicle to and from an authorized inspection station and/or repair facility. Neither, US CBP nor CBSA are the highway patrol, but if they want to, they can hold you until the highway patrol shows up.

If the car is your personal property and you owned and used it before settling in Canada, you may not have to pay provincial tax when you register it in Canada. You shouldn't have to pay GST and import duties either if you include it on your list of settler's goods. You may have to pay the RIV fee depending on how old the vehicle is.

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
links18 said:
Not enough information to answer your question. What type of temporary tags do you have? Some temp tags only allow you to drive the vehicle to and from an authorized inspection station and/or repair facility. Neither, US CBP nor CBSA are the highway patrol, but if they want to, they can hold you until the highway patrol shows up.

If the car is your personal property and you owned and used it before settling in Canada, you may not have to pay provincial tax when you register it in Canada. You shouldn't have to pay GST and import duties either if you include it on your list of settler's goods. You may have to pay the RIV fee depending on how old the vehicle is.
Thank u for ur reply.

the temps that i have allow me to drive the car for 30 days not only to go to inspection or repair facility.
so my quesion is :

If my name only in the back of the title and i didn`t flip the title and issue a new one with my name on the front, will this be enough to proof or the US customs and Canadian border that i own the car?
because if i will flip it to my name i must pay the tax for the car here too
so must i do this and pay the tax to flip the title and issue a permanent plates?

max_lee

May 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-06-2008
AOR Received.
01-11-2008
IELTS Request
02-03-2009
Med's Request
29-05-2009
Med's Done....
10-06-2009
Passport Req..
02-22-1010
VISA ISSUED...
02-25-1010
LANDED..........
01-04-2010
Hi,

To avoid paying tax in Canada and to put the car in goods accompanying or To follow list, the title should be on your name, infact they even check if the vehicle has any lien at the border post(CBSA - to issue Export certificate). So only if you have a clear title on your name you would be able to import the car into Canada, I am not sure if the same rule applies if you just go over to canada for landing(with the car in the goods to follow list) and come back, maybe in that case you can put the car in the goods to follow list and do the landing and at the time of landing show the current title with your name on the back. But even in this case when yo take the car for good into canada you need to have the car titled on your name as this is a must for US Export certificate which is a requirement to show to CBP.

Rgds

Max

dentistusa

Star Member
Apr 9, 2009
max_lee said:
Hi,

To avoid paying tax in Canada and to put the car in goods accompanying or To follow list, the title should be on your name, infact they even check if the vehicle has any lien at the border post(CBSA - to issue Export certificate). So only if you have a clear title on your name you would be able to import the car into Canada, I am not sure if the same rule applies if you just go over to canada for landing(with the car in the goods to follow list) and come back, maybe in that case you can put the car in the goods to follow list and do the landing and at the time of landing show the current title with your name on the back. But even in this case when yo take the car for good into canada you need to have the car titled on your name as this is a must for US Export certificate which is a requirement to show to CBP.

Rgds

Max
Thanks

but i don`t want to put my name on the front of title to avoid paying tax here in US!!!
because i will not issue permanent plates to drive in US.
i can drive with temp tags for 30 days and i will be out of US before 30 days will gone.
thats why i dont want to pay tax here for no use.