+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I (Canadian Citizen) get my wife to come on a TRV and then apply for PR ??

cali4nia

Feb 8, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello to all!

I'm sincerely hoping I can get good advice on my current dilemma. I recently married my wife here in the UAE. I will soon resign from my job and head back home to Montreal to run the family business. I own my own home in Canada but have been a non-resident (for tax purposes) for the past 3 years while I was in Dubai.

I met my wife more than 2 years ago and we can prove that our relationship is genuine. She is currently employed and in very good standing with her emplyer in Dubai and her UAE resident's visa is good until 2011. She does not have any lease in her name, nor bank accounts in the UAE because she sends most of her earnings to the Philippines.

After speaking with a CIC call centre agent, I was told that she should declare all our intentions on the TRV (like wanting to apply for Sponsorship and PR once she is admitted to Canada) and so on and so forth. But one of the major criteria that Immigration officers look at in TRV's is the applicant's intention to return to the country of residence so... this is in direct conflict with what the CIC agent said.

I do not want to be separated from her while applying for Sponsorship and PR. I want to her to either accompany me to Canada or visit me later and then we will proceed with the "in Canada" sponsorship and PR application shortly upon her arrival. What is the BEST way to go about getting her approved for a TRV?

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
It's HIGHLY unlikely that you wife will be issued a TRV now that you are married and she is applying for PR because, as you suspected, she is now unable to prove that she is a genuine "temporary resident". That is in direct conflict with what the CIC agent said, but they'd say, "So?" Unfortunately they're not in the business of "helping" you bring a foreign national - even a spouse - to Canada as a temporary resident.

A legal resident of the UAE will be processed through Abu Dhabi - but they're not very fast . . . 8 - 18 months to finalize. You might want to look at the processing timeline for the visa office that represents her country of birth. She's always eligible to be processed through that office - even if she remains in the UAE during processing.