+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can I apply for EI benefits

Ajay147

Apr 6, 2018
Hello all,

I am on open work permit and I have been working from December 2018 and my contract has been ended in December 2019 and because of medical emergencies I came to my home country in January

Can I apply for EI benefits from my home country because of the travel ban imposed by the government and does claiming EI benefits effect my PR application in future

Thanks in Advance

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello all,

I am on open work permit and I have been working from December 2018 and my contract has been ended in December 2019 and because of medical emergencies I came to my home country

Can I apply for EI benefits from my home country and does claiming EI benefits effect my PR application in future

Thanks in Advance
No you don’t qualify for EI.

Ajay147

Apr 6, 2018
I am unemployed right now and if i move to Canada after the travel ban

Can I apply for EI

Last edited:

Ajay147

Apr 6, 2018
How much longer do you have left on your permit?your work permit has to be valid for the entire benefit period.For regular benefits,you are not eligible if you are outside canada.You are kind of running out of time with the application because they usually reccommend you apply within 4 weeks of stopping work otherwise you will loose benefits.I applied for EI last year after 6 months of quitting my job and to my surprise, i got approved but only for 3 months.In your case,with the borders closed,i doubt you will catch it on time.And no,EI willnot affect your PR application.
My work permit is Valid till November 2020

As soon as I land in Canada I will apply for the EI benefits

Ajay147

Apr 6, 2018
How much longer do you have left on your permit?your work permit has to be valid for the entire benefit period.For regular benefits,you are not eligible if you are outside canada.You are kind of running out of time with the application because they usually reccommend you apply within 4 weeks of stopping work otherwise you will loose benefits.I applied for EI last year after 6 months of quitting my job and to my surprise, i got approved but only for 3 months.In your case,with the borders closed,i doubt you will catch it on time.And no,EI willnot affect your PR application.
Also , can I claim for the months outside of Canada if I submit the necessary proofs of medical treatment

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also , can I claim for the months outside of Canada if I submit the necessary proofs of medical treatment
If you quit your job you shouldn’t have received EI.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
If you quit your job you shouldn’t have received EI.
Exactly. I did a stint at EI . If you quit, your employer would have coded your ROE reason for leaving your job as Quit , versus Shortage of Work.
If the ROE said quit, you would not be eligible for EI, EXCEPT if there was extenuating circumstances, such as harassment etc

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
If you are asking if you will get retroactive payments for the time you were outside of Canada, the answer is unfortunately no.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
There is something called “just cause”to quit:)You donot my situation to decide that i should not have received EI but service Canada had all the information and decided i qualified for it.So?
Then you wanted to put that in your original posting , versus just saying you quit & you received EI. Like giving ALL the information. Because if you just put quit on your ROE, it's guaranteed, without giving extenuating reasons , it would not qualify for EI
The case has to be adjudicated

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
[
If you needed more information you could have asked instead of drawing your own conclusions.Quit is just quit as coded on ROE.Whether i quit with just cause or not still doesnot change the quit into dismissal or anything else.It remains a quit and when i said i quit my job that was a fact.So you cant tell me that i should not have said i quit my job and got EI.!!!!:mad::(:(
Others reading your post will assume that if they quit they will be able to somehow get EI which is why it is so important to qualify that this was not a typical situation.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Yes my ROE was coded as quit.What makes you conclude that i did not have extuniating circumstances yet you dont even know the circumstances surrounding my quiting?Dont rush into conclusions based on false assumptions.I quit last year and got EI.I just had to provide a lot of proof and they contacted the employer for their side of the story but that was it.
Maybe I came to that conclusion, because you NEVER put in your original posting you had extenuating circumstances, plus I can’t read minds
I wish I could , but unfortunately I can’t
The adjudicator would of called the employer to confirm the extenuating reasons . Your claim would not have been auto approved as claims usually are
When I worked at EI, if I came across a claim that was coded quit , I’d have to interview the employee regarding the reasons and send it off to adjudication
They wouldn’t be paid benefits otherwise

Reactions: canuck78