+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CAIPS notes

shamindo

Aug 31, 2007
hello,
i am currently trying to obtain my husbands CAIPS notes so that i can see what is taking sooo long. i'm having a small problem on the application form (ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND PERSONAL INFORMATION REQUEST), does anyone know if i check both the access to information and the privacy act. They from what i have read they sound like the same thing with different names. Any tips on this topic would greatly be appreciated.

T

TaaDow

If you are seeking the CAIPS notes regarding the case of someone still overseas (the PA), you will have to apply under the Access to Information Act and provide a consent to release information form signed by the PA and any other people over 18 on the application...

The Difference (very very basically):
Under the Privacy Act you may request documents held by any agency that pertain directly to you or business/property in your holding, including dependents. This is a free service up to a certain number of pages (see below).

Under the Access to Information Act you may request files that pertain to subjects/people other then yourself with the information being released only with the direct permission of those whose names or property appear within(hence the need for the release forms noted above). There's also a $5.00 fee for this service with additional fees for documents containing 120 pages or more (most caips notes contain 5-20pgs).

It should be noted for those requesting these notes (since this and the FOSS notes represent the most common request received by CIC-ATIP by 85% or more)... generally anything found there you should already have been made aware of in writing. If anything IS under investigation, it will not be released as the Act strictly enforces the non-release of investigative information (for many obvious reasons). Now you may perhaps see that a letter was sent that never made it too you so I'm not saying they can't prove valuable if nothing else appears to be delayed.

sorry for any bad spelling... kinda tired...

shamindo

Aug 31, 2007
oh well thanks alot for your reply! Actually someone that i talked with on another forum told me that she was sponsoring her husband from england and it was taking a long time so she asked for the notes. when she got them she realized what was taking the immigration office so long to process her husbands application. Turned out he was living in the uk illegally (was from sri lanka), so i kind of figure that if she got that from the notes then maybe they are worth getting.
Anyway, thanks again