+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

By road landing (( July 2nd 2020) ) experience during Covid - No quarantine needed

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
Hello all. I completed my landing process today at Peace Arch Boarder / Douglas crossing (near Vancouver) by road. The officer was very kind and helpful. Checked all documents and also initialized PR card process. She asked me if I was returning immediately to USA to which I answered yes. After that she didnt mentioned anything about quarantine.

Basic border crossing questions were asked on the US side by CBP.

So if anyone wants to complete landing process during Covid and want to return immediately then quarantine is not mandatory. Though this might be applicable for landing by road.

P.S - There was about 2hrs wait to get to the CBSA window as only 1 window was operational.

Hope this is helpful for anyone planning to do soft landing in coming days.

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
This is great! Not sure if other borders are allowing this?
Other borders means? I am sure the rule is same for all land border crossing. You can call to CBSA and talk to an actual officer and ask your doubts. Sometimes they will transfer to the actual port of entry office that you will want to use for landing.

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
It is mandatory for ppl who want to live in Canada for some time. If you are returning immediately without leaving premises of CBSA then its allowed. Mentioned this when you call CBSA customer support. Then they will confirm.

HoustonRodeo

Jun 17, 2020
Other borders means? I am sure the rule is same for all land border crossing. You can call to CBSA and talk to an actual officer and ask your doubts. Sometimes they will transfer to the actual port of entry office that you will want to use for landing.
I called CBSA last week and they said they are not allowing flag poling for now. So mandatory quarantine is needed. That is why I am surprised they allowed.

vj12

Oct 26, 2018
I called CBSA last week and they said they are not allowing flag poling for now. So mandatory quarantine is needed. That is why I am surprised they allowed.
Oh. Not sure. I called 3 times on 3 different days before travelling as I was also under the impression that quarantine is mandatory. But all 3 officers told me I can return without quarantine immediately if I choose. So when I traveled I was certain I can come back.

At port of entry officer asked me if i plan to quarantine or return immediately. I said if it's possible then I will prefer returning back to USA. So she directed the exits I need to take to return to USA.

HoustonRodeo

Jun 17, 2020
Oh. Not sure. I called 3 times on 3 different days before travelling as I was also under the impression that quarantine is mandatory. But all 3 officers told me I can return without quarantine immediately if I choose. So when I traveled I was certain I can come back.

At port of entry officer asked me if i plan to quarantine or return immediately. I said if it's possible then I will prefer returning back to USA. So she directed the exits I need to take to return to USA.
Interesting. Let me check again if things changed.

Aliya45

Apr 30, 2020
Hello all. I completed my landing process today at Peace Arch Boarder / Douglas crossing (near Vancouver) by road. The officer was very kind and helpful. Checked all documents and also initialized PR card process. She asked me if I was returning immediately to USA to which I answered yes. After that she didnt mentioned anything about quarantine.

Basic border crossing questions were asked on the US side by CBP.

So if anyone wants to complete landing process during Covid and want to return immediately then quarantine is not mandatory. Though this might be applicable for landing by road.

P.S - There was about 2hrs wait to get to the CBSA window as only 1 window was operational.

Hope this is helpful for anyone planning to do soft landing in coming days.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Did you use AVR to come back to U.S?

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Technically travelling up from the US to Canada is not really flagpoling in the true sense given flagpoling tends to refer to the other direction but guess is an apt name for it given is a straight turnaround. .

The reasoning behind CBSA stating on their website they would not entertain flagpoling from the Canada side would be due to the fact that any immigration process should be completed inland within Canada if already in Canada, not at the already stressed border.

This as opposed to coming up from the US as in effect an international arrival who would not have any access to inland immigration processes until crossing into Canada so being processed as an international arrival into the country even if turning straight back to the US after completing Canada Immigration/customs formalities. Assuming of course are not faced with a CBSA officer who puts their own interpretation of the guidelines into the debate by refusing entry without quarantine, nothing is ever guaranteed regardles what any call center may say.

Reactions: nipsey