+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

bring money in canada

canadiann

Star Member
May 3, 2009
I moved to Canada from US about 5 months ago. Now I am planning to transfer my money directly from US bank account. Do I need to inform custom about that?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

rang said:
Hi is this only apply to people from US to Canada or to All ?

Thanks in Advance
To all, banks report transfers of over $10K to Fintrac, you don't have to do anything.

rang

Oct 6, 2009
Thanks PMM, but if banks report transfers of over $10K to Fintrac then do I have to pay any government tax for the transfer? even I am a new immigrant and just landed less than a month?

tia

proxy

Dec 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Let's say I land today. 1USD = 1.06CAD

What if I keep my money in US account, then in 3 months, if the currency exchange rate becomes 1USD= 1.20CAD , I transfer and convert all my savings into CAD.

Do I have to pay taxes on the $0.14 gain in USD strength ?

In other words, if I have a feeling that USD is going to be stronger, can I keep my money in US account for a few months before i actually transfer and convert all my money into Canadian Dollars?

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

proxy said:
Let's say I land today. 1USD = 1.06CAD

What if I keep my money in US account, then in 3 months, if the currency exchange rate becomes 1USD= 1.20CAD , I transfer and convert all my savings into CAD.

Do I have to pay taxes on the $0.14 gain in USD strength ?

In other words, if I have a feeling that USD is going to be stronger, can I keep my money in US account for a few months before i actually transfer and convert all my money into Canadian Dollars?
No there are no taxes on currency gains.

proxy

Dec 4, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Oh wow PMM.

I had no idea, somebody told me the opposite.

Ok, so I will keep the majority of my savings in USD account in US and will transfer when I'm ready to convert to CAD.

Because I really think that USD is going to get stronger against CAD.

jaguar_paw

Jul 10, 2010
thaiguy said:
not unless you're carrying it over the border; bank transfers don't have to be reported
Thanks for useful thread.

Just wanted to clarify with you guys..

I know that there are various reporting forms for transferring money by courier(E668), on their own(E677). There is also another form E667(General as it says) which i guess might be applicable to bank transfers as well..Any ideas what this form is used for??

Thanks

shekhawatmx

Star Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dubai UAE
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22 May 2009
File Transfer...
16 june 2009 from CIO
Med's Request
26 aug 2009
Med's Done....
8 oct 2009 at mumbai INDIA
Passport Req..
17 feb 2010 by email
VISA ISSUED...
22 march 2010 got pp back on 29 march 2010
LANDED..........
20 Aug 2010
open a saving or every day chequing acoount in TD,CIBC etc and do the wire transfers, no need to inform any one.
sometime these bank charge 15$ for incoming wire transfers if service charged are not paid by sender.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

shekhawatmx said:
open a saving or every day chequing acoount in TD,CIBC etc and do the wire transfers, no need to inform any one.
sometime these bank charge 15$ for incoming wire transfers if service charged are not paid by sender.
The banks report deposits of over $10K to FinTrac http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
PMM said:
Hi

The banks report deposits of over $10K to FinTrac http://www.fintrac-canafe.gc.ca/intro-eng.asp
PMM

Please correct me if I am coming third time alone (after two years of immigiration) and my limit is 10K what if I am coming with my family (four members), still I am allowed $10 K or I can bring $ 40K cash.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hasher said:
PMM

Please correct me if I am coming third time alone (after two years of immigiration) and my limit is 10K what if I am coming with my family (four members), still I am allowed $10 K or I can bring $ 40K cash.
You can bring as much as you can carry. As long as you report any amount over $10K Make sure you report it, or it can be seized and you fined. There is no taxes, CBSA just wants it reported.