+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging open work permit or spouse open work permit when applying PR under CEC

Gina123

Jun 22, 2020
We got ITA on Jun 25th,2020 and will submit the application in mid-July.
My open work permit (PGWP) will expire on Feb 25, 2021, and my accompanying spouse's open work permit (PGWP) will expire in October 2022.
Now we have two choices.

Plan A: Wait until October 25th, which is four months before my PGWP expires, to apply for the bridging open work permit.
Or
Plan B: My spouse will work under NOC B for six months in September so that I can apply for a spouse open work permit in case our PR application is rejected sometime in the worst situation. Her work may be ended in September.

I am confused about which option I should choose. I will appreciate it if anyone can give some suggestions.

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
Whatever is to your advantage. The options you've proposed are both legally feasible, but Plan B seems shakier, with you spouse's work possibly being terminated in September, but if your PR application is rejected for some reason - why would it be? - the Plan B it is!

RAMAAA91

Mar 8, 2020
Hi,

I have applied for PR under CEC.Got AOR on 19-March-2020.Currently holding PGWP, which expires on 08-July-2020.
Applied for Bridging Work permit on 04-April-2020.
PR profile got updated on 13-May-2020, saying Medicals passed and also received the request for Biometrics.

I didn't receive any updates regarding Bridging work permit till now.Where i haven't gave my biometrics because of closure.

I am worried because of PGWP expires in couple of days..

if anyone has any updates, it will helps me

Thanks.
[/QUOTE

Better call CIC tomorrow in the morning time and enquire about BOWP status im in similsr situation but my AoR may 14th and BOWP may 22nd...received BIL for BOWP but no update for PR application yet...PGWP expires on jul31st..
Usually if your PR application passed R10 completness check which is i think after you get first update med and BIL request the BOWP application should start processing but not sure why it doesnt have any updates yet...so better call CIC..
Keep posted if you get any updates..

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
You will be on implied status until the BOWP process is complete so nothing really needs to change in your life - you can keep working legally, etc. If you leave Canada after July 8, then your implied status would end and you'd have to wait for your BOWP to be approved before starting work. Otherwise, there's no reason to panic or call IRCC or anything else. Processes are slow. Your status in Canada is intact.

RAMAAA91

Mar 8, 2020
You will be on implied status until the BOWP process is complete so nothing really needs to change in your life - you can keep working legally, etc. If you leave Canada after July 8, then your implied status would end and you'd have to wait for your BOWP to be approved before starting work. Otherwise, there's no reason to panic or call IRCC or anything else. Processes are slow. Your status in Canada is intact.
He will be on implied status but the reason i mentioned to call CIC is to get info about BOWP processing there are ppl whose application date is in apr for BOWP and got approved in end of may while their PR still processing..it is slow processing as everyone knows but there are ppl whose applications processing faster...for that reason its better to get info from CIC...otherwise not to worry about his status until he receive update from CIC about BOWP approval...