+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bridging a Post Graduate Work Permit

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
Hello everyone,
Excuse me if this topic has been repeated before, but I haven't found a thread that raises the questions I'm about to raise.

So I currently hold a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires early September of this year. I work full time as a Software Developer. I've applied for the Permanent Residency (PR) through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) last year and my application is still being processed (stuck in background check for a while).

My understanding is that to bridge my PGWP, I simply have to apply for a work permit online. I logged in into my online account, answered the survey questions and got suggested to extend for the work permit, as expected. Here's where it gets tricky though; the additional questions ask about my 'working status' and list a bunch of options, none of which apply and so I selected 'none of the above'. The following question asks if I have an LMIA, for which if I answer 'no' I become ineligible and the application as closed. Since the PGWP is LMIA-exempt (to my knowledge) and there's no 'PGWP' or 'open work permit' option in the question, I selected 'yes' to have the application proceed. Eventually when I arrive at the document upload page, I am required to upload proof of my LMIA approval and of my LMIA-approved job offer. This doesn't apply to me, of course, so I'm thinking the only I can do is upload my employment certificate (and paystubs), a copy of my PGWP, a copy of the PR letter stating that my application is being processed, and perhaps an explanation letter.

Please let me know if my approach is valid, or if I did something wrong or if there's any misunderstanding fro my part.

Sorry for the long post. Any reply is greatly appreciate.
Cheers!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone,
Excuse me if this topic has been repeated before, but I haven't found a thread that raises the questions I'm about to raise.

So I currently hold a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) that expires early September of this year. I work full time as a Software Developer. I've applied for the Permanent Residency (PR) through the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) last year and my application is still being processed (stuck in background check for a while).

My understanding is that to bridge my PGWP, I simply have to apply for a work permit online. I logged in into my online account, answered the survey questions and got suggested to extend for the work permit, as expected. Here's where it gets tricky though; the additional questions ask about my 'working status' and list a bunch of options, none of which apply and so I selected 'none of the above'. The following question asks if I have an LMIA, for which if I answer 'no' I become ineligible and the application as closed. Since the PGWP is LMIA-exempt (to my knowledge) and there's no 'PGWP' or 'open work permit' option in the question, I selected 'yes' to have the application proceed. Eventually when I arrive at the document upload page, I am required to upload proof of my LMIA approval and of my LMIA-approved job offer. This doesn't apply to me, of course, so I'm thinking the only I can do is upload my employment certificate (and paystubs), a copy of my PGWP, a copy of the PR letter stating that my application is being processed, and perhaps an explanation letter.

Please let me know if my approach is valid, or if I did something wrong or if there's any misunderstanding fro my part.

Sorry for the long post. Any reply is greatly appreciate.
Cheers!
Hi

There is a question about "approval in principle". You need to answer Yes to that.

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
Hi

There is a question about "approval in principle". You need to answer Yes to that.
I haven't received an 'approval in principle' though, my application is still stuck in the background processing check. Should I answer 'yes' regardless?

Last edited:

EHKhiari

Jul 22, 2016
That's the approval in principle (once you've received a AOR) it's approval in principle.
Oh, I wasn't aware that receiving the AOR implies 'approval in principle'. Are you sure about this? Is it mentioned somewhere on the IRCC websites?

Thanks!