+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Bill C-6: Senate stage

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
Varangian said:
How about the commitment to finish everything by May? We heard so many comments re that today!
Bill Passes in May from Senate.... because it carries amendments it has to pass HoC too before coming a law.

Amendments will be debated in HoC and voted upon, if HoC disagrees with any amendments put forward then they have to send is back to the Senate.

So the bill will 'travel' back and forth unless both houses come to an agreement. And when both come to agreement it goes for royal accent and becomes a law.

_MK_

Aug 20, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-01-2016
AOR Received.
09-04-2016
File Transfer...
23-06-2016
Med's Request
18-01-2017
Med's Done....
01-02-2017
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
spiritsoul said:
Weird how Sen. Jaffer had adjourned the debate although they were about to vote on the amendment of minors!!!
Why did you think there wont be a debate? No amendment good or bad is ever accepted without debate!

jsm0085

Champion Member
Feb 26, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CANADIANZ said:
Bill Passes in May from Senate.... because it carries amendments it has to pass HoC too before coming a law.

Amendments will be debated in HoC and voted upon, if HoC disagrees with any amendments put forward then they have to send is back to the Senate.

So the bill will 'travel' back and forth unless both houses come to an agreement. And when both come to agreement it goes for royal accent and becomes a law.
It will pass the HoC

Varangian

Mar 13, 2014
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2014
AOR Received.
14-03-2014
Med's Request
05-09-2014
Med's Done....
19-09-2014
Passport Req..
15-02-2015
LANDED..........
13-03-2015
CANADIANZ said:
How can you be so sure that it will pass HoC with all amendments proposed by the Senate?
They are two brothers :D

fwhitaker

Apr 6, 2017
_MK_ said:
Looks like someone created a new account to talk to himself! Trolls!
Actually that's not the case. But I do understand why you reached this conclusion.

He posted before the senator started talking about it that this could happen. I've been following this thread and the previous one that got deleted but never commented or created an account because there was nothing I could add or had the need. However, since this guy apparently got it right, I thought it would be nice to hear more.

Moreover, since I'm now participating on the forum, I might as well give some background. If the old rules, prior C24 were in effect, I would be able to apply since last March. C24 impacted me in a way that, from my calculations, it will take more than 2 years as I cannot count the time I was here on my master's program as an international student. I'll be eligible with C24 only by mid or end of 2019 as my job requires me to travel a lot. I do fulfill the 183 days in Canada each year, but being away for many short periods of time just postpone the date I can apply.

The reason I like C6 is that it removes the second class citizenship for me and for my kid, that was born here, and that it removes the intent to reside. My kid is Canadian first, born here, however he is forced until he is 18 to have my citizenship as well. At 18 years old he can forfeit my country's citizenship. I don't like the idea of having someone having the opportunity to rip off our citizenship because we are dual citizens.

As for the rule most here are concerned, I don't see myself leaving Canada before or after getting my citizenship, therefore the 3/5 or 4/6 is not of big concern now. I can wait to 2019 if needed to apply for my citizenship, but would appreciate to do it faster if possible. Means I'll have the same rights as my kid.

As for the intent, I'm in Canada and have the desire to stay here indefinitely but if needed in the future, after getting my citizenship, that I have to move to any other place on Earth to continue my pursuit on career growth, I want to be sure that being a naturalized citizen won't make me any less citizen than my kid and that they won't revoke my citizenship.

Now that you have my background and reasons why I like C6, I'm really curious regarding what this person might have as information from his high source. Wouldn't you be since he stated before the senator amendment was proposed? Additionally, this is not the facts thread, therefore he can speculate as much as he can and if he continues to get it right, he might become the best source. As the tweets posted here are no reliable source...

jsm0085 said:
It will pass the HoC
It might pass, it might not. I all depends if they agree with the amendments and how the discussion goes in there.

knightofOrthodoxy

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-03-2018
Interview........
04-09-2018
So in Legsinfo website, is says the Chamber sitting today is 110

But counting the total votes, it seems the numbers don't add up. (35 + 27 + 3 = 65). Where are the other senators? Committess? Are all the 35 For votes coming from the conservative bloc or are other independents voted alongside the cons? It seems there are 50 senators who did not vote and their votes are important

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
_MK_ said:
Why did you think there wont be a debate? No amendment good or bad is ever accepted without debate!
The amendment to repeal the word "written" was voted without a debate.

The speaker asked if the Senators ready for the question on Sen. Oh amendment today, and some said "yes" BUT Sen. Jaffer adjourned.

Debate is not a mandatory though

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
knightofOrthodoxy said:
So in Legsinfo website, is says the Chamber sitting today is 110

But counting the total votes, it seems the numbers don't add up. (35 + 27 + 3 = 65). Where are the other senators? Committess? Are all the 35 For votes coming from the conservative bloc or are other independents voted alongside the cons? It seems there are 50 senators who did not vote and their votes are important
The sitting is No. 110 but the total number of the Senators is altogether less than or equal 99.

knightofOrthodoxy

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Category........
Visa Office......
Montreal
App. Filed.......
16-02-2018
AOR Received.
14-03-2018
Interview........
04-09-2018
spiritsoul said:
The sitting is No. 110 but the total number of the Senators is altogether less than or equal 99.
Oops my bad. But still where are the remaining senators?

hfinkel

Feb 23, 2012
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
monalisa said:
They will accept it as it is, to be honest age 60 is fair, language requirements very easy, to have fair knowledge
I don't see a problem with a 60-year old requirement. It isn't that one must obtain a fluency level in English or French.
It is just a requirement to write an exam at a basic level. I'm in my mid-50s and find it just as easy to learn new things as it was in my 20s.

spiritsoul

Jan 9, 2013
Mississauga
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
28-03-2011
AOR Received.
02-05-2011
File Transfer...
02-05-2011
Med's Request
25-11-2012
Med's Done....
17-01-2013
Interview........
Nil
Passport Req..
18-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-03-2013
LANDED..........
16-06-2013
knightofOrthodoxy said:
Oops my bad. But still where are the remaining senators?
Some of them don't vote or chose to not attend the voting session

tyl92

Apr 1, 2013
captain74 said:
The HoC is not just going to roll over and accept several amendments. This bill is at serious risk of going into ping-pong and the delay there will be way more than the four weeks they now seem to have agreed upon.
That's what i've been saying for a while .

Now they all want to tattoo this bill , and please people , please , do not rely on those tweets nor place hopes on them . We've been tricked more than once .

Here is the story of what happened :

First of all , when Sen Omidvar ( Sponsor ) said clearly right after committee (even during ) that they will only present an amendment regarding the revocation process . Then Sen Omidvar became inactive and stopped communicating , it turned out that Sen Jaffer took the lead and ended up being bombarded by tweets . Sen harder and Sen Jaffer said , just about 48 hours ago , that it should pass by Easter . Then 50 seconds later , they had the information that amendments are coming up and many more others . More explicitly , bill c6 to pass before easter suddenly became impossible .
Then by the tons of messages , they restarted those bids , saying oh now it should pass by the 3rd , mid first week of may .Doesn't it remind you something that occurred last year ? ( all those predictions that ended up in the trash , and there even were articles that predicted stupid timeframes as well )
I'm sorry , but there's no way i'm going to thank them for anything and won't believe them at all until i can see clearly that it actually passed .It came from a good will to present that fair process amendment turned out to be the worst thing that could happen to it since liberals had no leverage from the beginning and ended losing control on everything. And even if it passes the senate , the HoC will still need to review all this mess .