+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Big 4 jobs in Toronto

whatarethose

Jul 23, 2021
Hi I am from Hong Kong and am going to move to Canada, probably Toronto, with an open work permit (which does not require visa sponsorship from employer). I aim to work in a big 4 company (preferrably in audit) after landing. Do audit positions in big 4 Canada prefer graduates with accounting / business background (in Hong Kong they dont put much emphasis on the major) ? Added to this, approximately how many headcounts do they have for graduate recruitment in audit? Here are some of my background information. Thanks a lot in advance!

current status: final year English major undergraduate student in Hong Kong
working experience: about 1 yr (1 big 4 audit internship and 2 accounting companies internships)

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you are working in the Big 4 (don’t know who the Big 4 are), experience and education in accounting/business most likely be necessary since Toronto is such a small market.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What big 4?
Big 4 = the big four accounting firms. This is a very common term used if you're in financial services.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi I am from Hong Kong and am going to move to Canada, probably Toronto, with an open work permit (which does not require visa sponsorship from employer). I aim to work in a big 4 company (preferrably in audit) after landing. Do audit positions in big 4 Canada prefer graduates with accounting / business background (in Hong Kong they dont put much emphasis on the major) ? Added to this, approximately how many headcounts do they have for graduate recruitment in audit? Here are some of my background information. Thanks a lot in advance!

current status: final year English major undergraduate student in Hong Kong
working experience: about 1 yr (1 big 4 audit internship and 2 accounting companies internships)
These are extremely competitive positions. Between Canadian graduate and hundreds of thousands of immigrants per year many with CPAs, business degrees, previous accounting experience some at big 4 abroad, etc. the jobs are extremely competitive. Think it’s going to be extremely hard to get recruited with an English degree. Canada is a small market. If you want a better chance you should get recruited and work for a few years in HK at one of the big 4 and see if you can get a transfer.

Reactions: novascotia27

whatarethose

Jul 23, 2021
These are extremely competitive positions. Between Canadian graduate and hundreds of thousands of immigrants per year many with CPAs, business degrees, previous accounting experience some at big 4 abroad, etc. the jobs are extremely competitive. Think it’s going to be extremely hard to get recruited with an English degree. Canada is a small market. If you want a better chance you should get recruited and work for a few years in HK at one of the big 4 and see if you can get a transfer.
Yes this is exactly what I am thinking about. For average people the big4s must prefer hiring local people rather than expats with no prior experience in their country :( Anyway thanks!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
big 4s do more than auditing, but since auditing is their largest source of income, they are often associated with it. Accounting in here I think is just like a general term.
Then why did you say 1 big 4 audit?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Then why did you say 1 big 4 audit?
This is an extremely well known and frequently used term for those in the industry.

OP is looking for industry advice so makes sense to use an industry term.