App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
Hello,
I would like to know the best hospital to give birth in the Montréal area. I have read that St. Luc and LaSalle are good, but I have also seen very scary and negative reviews of LaSalle for the energency room.
I am not a canadian citizen (my husband is) and my french is not perfect and I understand better standart french instead of the french of Québec. So also I'd like to know how "english friendly" the hospital is and if they respect the birth plan and if the nurses and doctors are nice and respectful to someone who is not canadian and who wants to have a birth as natural as possible.
Thank you very much in advance.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Your ability to deliver in a hospital depends on where your doctor midwife has privileges. Sounds like you are not covered by RAMQ. You need to be finding a doctor or midwife to take you on and arrange payment. Then you need to speak to the hospital. Many require payment in advance or a good deposit.

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
Your ability to deliver in a hospital depends on where your doctor midwife has privileges. Sounds like you are not covered by RAMQ. You need to be finding a doctor or midwife to take you on and arrange payment. Then you need to speak to the hospital. Many require payment in advance or a good deposit.
Is there no health insurance that could cover me in Canada?
Can I change province and be covered?
My husband is canadian after all...
In other countries the wife is automatically covered in the insurance of the husband...

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
I was born in a Montreal hospital so I know the city. Giving birth, in general, is not a complex process and any hospital is fine.
Maybe, but very very expensive they are if you don't have insurance...
Really not normal that the wife here in Québec is not covered under the health insurance plan of the wife.
Such thing would never happen in Europe. You never hear anyone go broke for not having insurance. Only in North America....

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Really not normal that the wife here in Québec is not covered under the health insurance plan of the wife.
Such thing would never happen in Europe. You never hear anyone go broke for not having insurance. Only in North America....
There are many cases where spouses need to go through sponsorship before being being able to enter the EU and get covered. Your husband would likely not be covered unless he bought his insurance plan in Switzerland. You have the option of returning to the EU (or wherever you have coverage in Europe) to have your child. If you moved to another province both you and your spouse would have to move and remain there for at least 6 months. It may be more in some provinces. Certain provinces know that people are attracted to the health coverage right away and all provinces have residency requirements or you could be asked to pay backing costs. It doesn't sound like you are in a good financial situation so you will have to assess whether moving or paying for a birth in Quebec is feasible.

Reactions: MinMin13

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
St Justine is the best children hospital in Montreal . It’s located in cote saint Catherine street .
Hello, thank you. I may chose this one next time. With RAMQ of course. I know they have a birthing unit there and new private rooms and tertiary NICU care. Have you any experience with this hospital? Or why did you recommend it?

Atecami

Star Member
Dec 5, 2018
Montréal
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
30-04-2019
AOR Received.
05-07-2019
Med's Request
Med's Done....
LANDED..........
I was born in a Montreal hospital so I know the city. Giving birth, in general, is not a complex process and any hospital is fine.
I have given birth twice. In two different hospitals. They are not at all the same. You? How many times have you given birth in order to say it is not a complex process? Just curious.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, thank you. I may chose this one next time. With RAMQ of course. I know they have a birthing unit there and new private rooms and tertiary NICU care. Have you any experience with this hospital? Or why did you recommend it?
You usually don’t choose the hospital you give birth in you are directed to the hospital where your doctor has privileges. If you don’t have enough time to make it to that hospital or are travelling elsewhere in Canada you would go to the closest hospital. If it has been identified that your baby will require extra support after birth and will need to go to the NICU you will likely be told to go to the local hospital with a NICU. Depending on the severity of the issue identified you may be directed to go to the highest level NICU. Your doctor ir midwife will have given you directions of what to do when you go into labour including what hospital to go to. If you call your doctor’s number when you go into labour their team will also direct you to go to a certain hospital where your doctor may be on call that day.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have given birth twice. In two different hospitals. They are not at all the same. You? How many times have you given birth in order to say it is not a complex process? Just curious.
Did you move or change doctors between your 2 births? If you had the same doctor, didn’t move, the doctor didn’t move, etc. you would usually give birth at the same hospital. Having an uncomplicated vaginal birth is not a medically complex process which is why all over the world women have babies with zero medical care. Women give birth in hospitals so when there are complications they can be addressed but the large majority have no issues and could technically have a natural birth without epidural if they had to.