+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Best hiring months in finance industry

vids

Nov 10, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Can some one please guide me as to which months are best to find jobs in the finance sector in Canada? and in which months the hiring process slows down. Thank you

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

Can some one please guide me as to which months are best to find jobs in the finance sector in Canada? and in which months the hiring process slows down. Thank you
There really isn’t a specific month. Most hiring shuts down between November to mid January except service industries. There is a certain amount of hiring done in May/June when students graduate. Canada is a relatively small market and many banks are trying to get leaner. Not sure what your background is but there are tons of people coming to Canada with finance backgrounds from the UK, HK, Canadian returning from various parts of the world once they have kids, etc. The market can only absorb so many people. Just being honest. Your ability to get a job will mostly depend on your experience and licenses like CFA.

vids

Nov 10, 2019
There really isn’t a specific month. Most hiring shuts down between November to mid January except service industries. There is a certain amount of hiring done in May/June when students graduate. Canada is a relatively small market and many banks are trying to get leaner. Not sure what your background is but there are tons of people coming to Canada with finance backgrounds from the UK, HK, Canadian returning from various parts of the world once they have kids, etc. The market can only absorb so many people. Just being honest. Your ability to get a job will mostly depend on your experience and licenses like CFA.
Thank you. I have done Mba in Finance from India and have Cleared all levels of CFA.
Would also like to know if you have any idea as to whether owning a CFA charter vis a vis just having cleared all levels, would make a difference in terms of the hiring process. Thanks

vids

Nov 10, 2019
Thank you. I have done Mba in Finance from India and have Cleared all levels of CFA.
Would also like to know if you have any idea as to whether owning a CFA charter vis a vis just having cleared all levels, would make a difference in terms of the hiring process. Thanks
I mean in terms that my profile will be highlighted better if i am able to write the 3 letters CFA against my name.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I mean in terms that my profile will be highlighted better if i am able to write the 3 letters CFA against my name.
Yes. You will also list when you got your designations on your CV. It will also help if you have experience working as a CFA. As mentioned before Canada is a small market so it can’t absorb everyone so it will be very competitive. CFA will help order other MBAs.

vids

Nov 10, 2019
Why is it a small market though? Is it because the population is lean?

Last edited:

vids

Nov 10, 2019
I do have experience in the investment banking industry for 5 years with one of the top multi-national banks in that industry..

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Finance is concentrated in only a few places, Toronto for example and Canada has a relatively small population given the physical size of the country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It is a relatively small country and not an international banking centre like NYC, London, HK, etc. The banks are also trying to adjust to competition from things like Fintech so they are trying to become leaner or adjust where they spend their money. The salaries are also usually lower so doesn’t always make sense to actually move to Canada if you have a good job paying you good money.