+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Been arrested 2 years ago but got Acquitted by trial court. Can i enter Canada?

chino.estacio

Jun 1, 2009
I've been wrongfully accused for being a drug pusher here in the Philippines. Was a victim of ill-motivated police activities. The court did not find strong evidence against me and dismissed the case and acquitted me of the crime. Some people say there's a difference from being "acquitted" (insufficient evidence, trial gone half way and court acquitted me) and having a "not guilty" verdict (trial went to the end).

Im just trying to be sure about this because in the US Visa application even though your not convicted but if you have an arrest regarding crime involving moral turpitude (drug case, prostitution), you will be given a chance of 50/50 on getting a US Visa. I'm not quite sure if this also happen in getting a Canadian Visa.

i was never CONVICTED. Can this affect my admissibility to have a non immigrant or immigrant visa in Canada?

kyu010170

May 27, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-04-2009 Nova Scotia
Doc's Request.
27-05-2009 NS AOR
AOR Received.
9-06-2009 Buffalo AOR
File Transfer...
Remained in Buffalo
Med's Request
26-04-2010
Med's Done....
29-05-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-08-2010
VISA ISSUED...
28-09-2010
Hi,

In the application for immigrant visa (PR), the question is phrased as follows:

"Have you been convicted, or are you currently charged with, on trial for, or party to a crime or offence, or subject of any criminal proceedings in any current?"

Obviously in your case, the answer is NO. Therefore, it has no impact on any future PR application on your part.

Go see this link to check whether your acquittal will have an effect on your visitor visa application:

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/philippines/visas/visiting-visiter.aspx?lang=eng

cutieangel13

Aug 31, 2011
We have similar situation. I'm sponsoring my husband to come here in canada. He was detained in jail for 3 years, because he was accused of selling illegal drugs but he is not, everything was framed up, the case was dismissed and he is proven not guilty. We attached copy of dismissed letter to the application. Missauga office forwarded his papers in Manila last march until now we haven't heard anything from them, on ecas it shows in process and under permanent residence status says Determined, that they will send me letter informing us what the decision is but haven't receive any letter..I'm praying that they will not make his record as reason for him to be inadmissable to canada. Can anyone give me advice on what to do. thanks

jayan89

Sep 30, 2017
Cochin
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-11-2017
AOR Received.
05-12-2017
We have similar situation. I'm sponsoring my husband to come here in canada. He was detained in jail for 3 years, because he was accused of selling illegal drugs but he is not, everything was framed up, the case was dismissed and he is proven not guilty. We attached copy of dismissed letter to the application. Missauga office forwarded his papers in Manila last march until now we haven't heard anything from them, on ecas it shows in process and under permanent residence status says Determined, that they will send me letter informing us what the decision is but haven't receive any letter..I'm praying that they will not make his record as reason for him to be inadmissable to canada. Can anyone give me advice on what to do. thanks
What happened with ur application...when did u got pr

Zaid khan

Sep 10, 2018
I've been wrongfully accused in an around 10 robbery cases & served 6 months in jail in trial period then i got the bail now due to lack of evidence the court dismissed all the cases over me & acquitted me from the crime now i am living like a free man as before & not indulge in any type of criminal activities from last couple of months .i never got convicted.
However besides that i am an experienced civil engineer with master degree as well i also even worked in Dubai before i went to jail so i just wanna know that can i apply for PR in Canada via express entry or not
Can this affect the admissibility to get PR in Canada ? Pls let me know about this

Zaid khan

Sep 10, 2018
I've been wrongfully accused in an around 10 robbery cases & served 6 months in jail in trial period then i got the bail now due to lack of evidence the court dismissed all the cases over me & acquitted me from the crime now i am living like a free man as before & not indulge in any type of criminal activities from last couple of months .i never got convicted.
However besides that i am an experienced civil engineer with master degree as well i also even worked in Dubai before i went to jail so i just wanna know that can i apply for PR in Canada via express entry or not
Can this affect the admissibility to get PR in Canada ? Pls let me know about this
Sorry i did not mention my country .i am an Indian

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry. Ten robbery cases seem unusual. That coupled with the fact that you served 6 months in jail without getting bail instead would seem like these were not petty offences and/or non-bailable offences.

1. Is there more to these cases/criminal offences than what you've posted on here? For example, was it robbery with firearms, or armed robbery, or did it involve assault, etc?

2. Has the prosecution filed appeals in a higher court?

3. Have you checked the criminal equivalence of the cases with Criminal Code of Canada?

Reactions: canuck_in_uk

Bseneo

Sep 10, 2018
Dear all,

I am an Indian passport holder currently residing in the US. I want to apply for a Canadian visitor visa for tourism. To that end, I wanted to get some more information on the admissibility.

I have an arrest record for a misdemeanor, disorderly conduct from 2015. The case was dismissed and there was no conviction. I didn’t have to pay any penalty or do community service.

Can you please let me know if I can apply for the visitor visa or would I have to apply for a Temporary Resident permit?

I couldn’t find any relevant information on the CIC website.

I appreciate your help.

bshailesh3

Sep 28, 2013
I've been wrongfully accused for being a drug pusher here in the Philippines. Was a victim of ill-motivated police activities. The court did not find strong evidence against me and dismissed the case and acquitted me of the crime. Some people say there's a difference from being "acquitted" (insufficient evidence, trial gone half way and court acquitted me) and having a "not guilty" verdict (trial went to the end).

Im just trying to be sure about this because in the US Visa application even though your not convicted but if you have an arrest regarding crime involving moral turpitude (drug case, prostitution), you will be given a chance of 50/50 on getting a US Visa. I'm not quite sure if this also happen in getting a Canadian Visa.

i was never CONVICTED. Can this affect my admissibility to have a non immigrant or immigrant visa in Canada?
did you get the visa or PR ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010