+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR with expired passport and visa

canhopefl

Jul 30, 2019
Hi all,

I have a unique situation and I haven't found a similar case in this forum. I have an expired passport which has my current active H1B visa stamping which will expire this year. My employer has petitioned for renewal of the H1B visa and assuming it is approved, can I travel to Canada for less than 30 days based on the approved I 797 based on the automatic re-validation rule? My current valid passport does not have a H1B stamping.

Thanks.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi all,

I have a unique situation and I haven't found a similar case in this forum. I have an expired passport which has my current active H1B visa stamping which will expire this year. My employer has petitioned for renewal of the H1B visa and assuming it is approved, can I travel to Canada for less than 30 days based on the approved I 797 based on the automatic re-validation rule? My current valid passport does not have a H1B stamping.

Thanks.
Seems not unique... Many had this situation.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/frequently-asked-questions.html
My old passport has already expired. My visa to travel to the United States is still valid but in my expired passport. Do I need to apply for a new visa with my new passport?
No. If your visa is still valid you can travel to the United States with your two passports, as long as the visa is valid, not damaged, and is the appropriate type of visa required for your principal purpose of travel. (Example: tourist visa, when your principal purpose of travel is tourism). Both passports (the valid and the expired one with the visa) should be from the same country and type.

Last edited:

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
You can use the valid Visa in expired passport. No need for AVR. You of course, need to have a valid passport (without the Visa) also.