+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR problems at small airports/crossings?

cvaib

Star Member
May 19, 2017
Hi all,
I am planning to relocate to Winnipeg. So wanted to visit the place once, complete my landing and come back to US. I have read multiple experiences about Toronto/Vancouver airports and Detroit/Buffalo/Seattle land border where AVR was used. Want to ask about AVR use at other small centers.
1. I wanted to know if anyone faced an USA immigration officer who did not know about AVR and denied entry at first - what was the location? what was the recourse?

2. I am planning to fly directly out of Winnipeg airport or cross Emerson border into North Dakota - both of these places have little to no reference in this forum. Has anyone got an experience of using AVR at these?

Thanks for your time.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
People run into less knowledgeable CBP officers all the time, even at busier border crossings. You should carry a printout from the CBP website mentioning the rule. CBP officers can contact their superiors and lawyers if required, so it will be better if you cross during work hours on a weekday so that those people will be available. But generally, it should not be a problem.

Reactions: cvaib