+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

AVR on Renewed Passport but I-94 not updated

inc49

Jul 5, 2022
Hello,

I currently reside in USA on H1B. I came here in 2015 on F1 and never left the USA. I had a change of status in 2018 and my I-94 shows admit until duration of status. I recently got my passport renewed in the USA as well as got my COPR that expires in Nov'22. I want to do a soft landing in Canada and get my H1B stamping done for the first time before Nov'22; however, there are currently no slots available. My question is can I use my renewed passport for AVR to do soft landing and come back? My I-94 shows my old passport details. Has anyone here gone through such scenario? What steps should I take?

Thanks for your input and help.

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hello,

I currently reside in USA on H1B. I came here in 2015 on F1 and never left the USA. I had a change of status in 2018 and my I-94 shows admit until duration of status. I recently got my passport renewed in the USA as well as got my COPR that expires in Nov'22. I want to do a soft landing in Canada and get my H1B stamping done for the first time before Nov'22; however, there are currently no slots available. My question is can I use my renewed passport for AVR to do soft landing and come back? My I-94 shows my old passport details. Has anyone here gone through such scenario? What steps should I take?

Thanks for your input and help.
Yes, you can use AVR. Not a problem. They ask you questions, just answer them like
1) Did your status change from F1 to H1b and when, where do you work and stuff and employer/client.
2) Did you get a new passport recently. Yes.,, all these kinda questions.

I had first travelled using my old passport and then there was a new passport. So just that you handover both passports when you reach the border/airport.

Go ahead. Goodluck

inc49

Jul 5, 2022
Hi @swan0206, thank you for the helpful message. I am flying from Toronto to US, is it easy to get boarding pass? Are Airlines aware of AVR rule? Any ideas on that? What documents do I need for AVR (want to make sure I am not missing anything)? Thanks!

swan0206

Champion Member
May 14, 2019
Hi @swan0206, thank you for the helpful message. I am flying from Toronto to US, is it easy to get boarding pass? Are Airlines aware of AVR rule? Any ideas on that? What documents do I need for AVR (want to make sure I am not missing anything)? Thanks!
fyi : https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/experience-of-returning-to-us-on-avr-f1-cpt.692250/
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/anyone-successful-on-flying-back-to-usa-using-avr.538392/page-2#post-6814053

The above threads have experiences of using AVR in airports. I believe Toronto peepz might be very well aware of the process as many people have flown previously and a lot during this pandemic.

aryastark940

Aug 25, 2022
Great! Thank you so much, @swan0206!
Hello there, are you still using AVR? I'm moving to Windsor in 2 weeks and would be working in Detroit. I don't have a renewed stamp on my passport so will be using the AVR feature. May I use it for everyday work travel without any second screening? how has your experience been?