+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

ArriveCAN app and connecting flights.

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
Hi there.
I just got my passport back today with the form/paper stating the acceptance of the PR.
I booked a flight already for the 1st of Jan, but I have a few questions that I hope some of the more knowledgeable members can answer.

I will be departing El Salvador and doing a Layover (2h) in Toronto, and then taking a final flight to QC.

1.) I have printed my quarantine plan and also printed the CSQ and will have those on hand if needed.

I am trying to sign up for the arriveCAN app beforehand, but its asking for airport, I am not sure if I should be adding in there my final destination airport(QC) or the the 1st entry point which would be Toronto.

Any other tips/advice you can provide or what to look out for would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks again , this forum has been extremely helpful.

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
They don't look to closely at this. Just to see you finished it. I don't know for sure but I would do first entry point as I did and my two kids and wife. They didn't even look at it. They looked one second to ensure it was finished. They also give you a written one on the plane so use the written one to select the other airport just in case.

I made a quarantine plan also and they never requested that. Didn't even ask my plans for Quarantine. I landed in Toronto also.

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
They don't look to closely at this. Just to see you finished it. I don't know for sure but I would do first entry point as I did and my two kids and wife. They didn't even look at it. They looked one second to ensure it was finished. They also give you a written one on the plane so use the written one to select the other airport just in case.

I made a quarantine plan also and they never requested that. Didn't even ask my plans for Quarantine. I landed in Toronto also.

Thanks I appreciate it, I will just have it in hand I guess. For the app I filled Toronto since its the entry point.

Once I land in Toronto, will I need to do anything PR related? or will I be able to take my connecting flight to QC without any additional steps ?

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
You have to go through
Thanks I appreciate it, I will just have it in hand I guess. For the app I filled Toronto since its the entry point.

Once I land in Toronto, will I need to do anything PR related? or will I be able to take my connecting flight to QC without any additional steps ?
immigration at your first entry point I believe? Make sure you have lots of time between flights. I think Toronto is fairly quick though. We waited longer for our bags then we did to get through immigration.

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
You have to go through

immigration at your first entry point I believe? Make sure you have lots of time between flights. I think Toronto is fairly quick though. We waited longer for our bags then we did to get through immigration.

I have 2 hours. More than likely I wont have to get my bags in toronto since my connecting flight is there and the bags are checked to be sent to QC

Mitch55555

Nov 14, 2018
Ecuador
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mexico
App. Filed.......
07-01-2019
AOR Received.
27-02-2019
File Transfer...
03-10-2019
Med's Request
27-03-2019/2-08-2020
Med's Done....
29-03-2010/11-08-2020
Interview........
Waived
I have 2 hours. More than likely I wont have to get my bags in toronto since my connecting flight is there and the bags are checked to be sent to QC
I would imagine that should be good. Personally I would have allowed more time. By the time you get off the plane, go to the washroom, you must wait in I think it was 3-4 lines....2 hours goes by fast.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
You should check with the airline on the procedures; in some cases you must collect your bags and clear customs at the first airport, and afterwards give your bags back to the airline. So the 'bags are checked through' to final destination may only mean that they've attached a second baggage ticket indicating they will re-check the bags after customs.

(I admit upfront that I'm not super-knowledgeable about this and procedures change over time - but you really don't want to find out later that you should have grabbed your bags to go through customs/landing)

Reactions: YVR123

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
For additional clarity (and note I haven't personally transitted this way in Toronto, and procedures do change): you go through immigration, tell them you are landing, and then go to the secondary immigration where that process takes place. That can take more or less time, mostly depending how many people in secondary.

Be prepared and have your covid isolation plan, contact information, addresses, etc.

It is only after that process that you collect your bags, go through customs (usually waved through but if you need to declare or any complications, can be longer). I believe that immediately after this point you put your bags back into the airport sorting system.

Obviously delays could mean that you miss your flight or that you make it onto your connecting flight and your bags don't. Sometimes airlines handle this well (getting you on the next flight or delivering your bags to you later) and even provide info or someone to help you make it onto your flight; sometimes, ahem, they do not. Be prepared - eg you don't want to arrive at your final location with zero personal effects because bags delayed. This is especially true in covid isolation where you can't go out and shop for replacements.

It is not necessarily that bad - hopefully all goes well - but it can make for a long day.

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
For additional clarity (and note I haven't personally transitted this way in Toronto, and procedures do change): you go through immigration, tell them you are landing, and then go to the secondary immigration where that process takes place. That can take more or less time, mostly depending how many people in secondary.

Be prepared and have your covid isolation plan, contact information, addresses, etc.

It is only after that process that you collect your bags, go through customs (usually waved through but if you need to declare or any complications, can be longer). I believe that immediately after this point you put your bags back into the airport sorting system.

Obviously delays could mean that you miss your flight or that you make it onto your connecting flight and your bags don't. Sometimes airlines handle this well (getting you on the next flight or delivering your bags to you later) and even provide info or someone to help you make it onto your flight; sometimes, ahem, they do not. Be prepared - eg you don't want to arrive at your final location with zero personal effects because bags delayed. This is especially true in covid isolation where you can't go out and shop for replacements.

It is not necessarily that bad - hopefully all goes well - but it can make for a long day.

Thanks everyone.
Yeah im Leaving in less than 24hs now.
am hoping its not too bad considering its the 1st.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks everyone.
Yeah im Leaving in less than 24hs now.
am hoping its not too bad considering its the 1st.
Good luck. Share experiences here with others afterwards.

If you are flying air canada, I've usually found their staff (stewards/stewardesses) to be helpful. There are often also information staff just at the area where you enter the immigration lines, don't be afraid to ask multiple people to check.

Politeness and happy new year wishes help; it's probably not where they want to be on New Year's Day...

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
Hi all, a bit late for the reply but I been unpacking and such.

The flight from El Salvador to Toronto was was very uneventful, only about 12 passengers,
Once I arrived I spent like 30 minutes with the Medical person, they were extremely nit-picky in terms of knowing the whole layout of the house where I would stay, in terms of rooms, amount of bathrooms, etc-

the Immigration office was very laid back, I was just asked a few questions and was told I would get the PR card in a few weeks/months.

I then took the second flight to QC, where I just picked my bags.

Things to note; no one asked me for the CSQ(even though it said beforehand I needed to have it printed)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Congrats and good to know.

So your bags were indeed booked straight through to Quebec and you didn't have to handle them in Toronto?

devolin182

Dec 13, 2020
Congrats and good to know.

So your bags were indeed booked straight through to Quebec and you didn't have to handle them in Toronto?

Thanks ! been spending quality time with the Mrs.

Actually no, but for me it was more of airline thing. After Immigration and the Medical portion, I had to get my bags and re check them for the QC flight via Air Canada. Which tbh, I think I was lucky in terms of the date, because I was the 1st one on both stations and it was still like 40 minutes. I had to pick my bags and go through the whole process. And I only had a 2 hour layover.
If there would've been any lines I might have missed the connecting flight.

I was traveling the 1st of Jan, so everything was more empty than normal I am sure.

I am guessing I was never asked to hand out the CSQ because I enterted via Toronto, but I am not too sure.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Actually no, but for me it was more of airline thing. After Immigration and the Medical portion, I had to get my bags and re check them for the QC flight via Air Canada.
I think that is the process for most arriving from other countries, get bags after immigration etc and re-check them in after customs even if on the same airline or partner. (But not certain)

Reactions: Canada2020eh

zuhkey

Mar 6, 2021
Hi all, a bit late for the reply but I been unpacking and such.

The flight from El Salvador to Toronto was was very uneventful, only about 12 passengers,
Once I arrived I spent like 30 minutes with the Medical person, they were extremely nit-picky in terms of knowing the whole layout of the house where I would stay, in terms of rooms, amount of bathrooms, etc-

the Immigration office was very laid back, I was just asked a few questions and was told I would get the PR card in a few weeks/months.

I then took the second flight to QC, where I just picked my bags.

Things to note; no one asked me for the CSQ(even though it said beforehand I needed to have it printed)
Hi ! I noticed your point of entry was different from your final destination. For ArriveCAN app, which arrival info did you enter- point of entry or final destination? Thank you in advance