+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying in Manitoba

olgasc

Aug 13, 2004
A friend of mine is applying for immigration process for a provincial immigration (Manitoba). My question is can he arrive in Toronto instead of Winnipeg and at the time of getting a citizenship (after 3 years of being in Canada), will he have any problems?

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:) He will be told by what port of entry he will disembark but it would be illogical to have him do so in Toronto instead of Winnepeg.

:?: Why would he have any problems once he is accepted to come? If he applied and is accepted as a PR..he can get his citizenship if he passes the test he will be recognized as a new Canadian.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

DancingFeather said:
:) He will be told by what port of entry he will disembark but it would be illogical to have him do so in Toronto instead of Winnepeg.

:?: Why would he have any problems once he is accepted to come? If he applied and is accepted as a PR..he can get his citizenship if he passes the test he will be recognized as a new Canadian.
Suggest you read the PNP requirements where if you are accepted as PNP you sign a statement that you will basically reside and make a reasonable attempt to find employment in the province that accepted you. If he was accepted by Manitoba PNP and did not attempt to fulfil PNP or even go to Manitoba, then he will have problems with CIC.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

DancingFeather said:

Suggest you read the PNP requirements where if you are accepted as PNP you sign a statement that you will basically reside and make a reasonable attempt to find employment in the province that accepted you. If he was accepted by Manitoba PNP and did not attempt to fulfil PNP or even go to Manitoba, then he will have problems with CIC.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:) Thank you. That I know, but he didn't specify what problems he may have. I am sure that anyone who comes here with the dream to reside permenantly will take any kind of job until they get the one they want to fullful the agreement. Anyone would be a fool not to. To have went all throught the process, the wait, the anxity etc not counting the financial envolvement and not look for work. Don't you think?

olgasc

Aug 13, 2004
I have 2 friends who came directly to Toronto instead of Winnipeg. They don't recall signing anything stating that they had to reside in Manitoba...

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

olgasc said:
I have 2 friends who came directly to Toronto instead of Winnipeg. They don't recall signing anything stating that they had to reside in Manitoba...
But were they processed under Manitoba PNP? If so they signed that statement.

PMM

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
Olgasc, this post of yours seems to be getting confusing and off track.

If your friend has applied under PNP, he MUST go to Manitoba and MUST look for work there. He cannot land in Toronto and never go to Manitoba at all. That is not negotiable or avoidable.

That someone else has done something and says they don't recall signing anything is irrelevant. The PNP process is quite clear cut.

It sounds to me like what you are really saying is that your friend has applied for PNP in Manitoba but does not WANT to abide by the agreement. He prefers to go to Toronto. The fact is if he does so he will be breaking the agreement and may find himself being deported at some point. What he WANTS is irrelevant. What he has agreed to is what matters and trying to find ways around it will not change the facts.

olgasc

Aug 13, 2004
Ok, thanks.

Can anybody point out to the agreement that he has to sign? I want to see it by myself, please.

Andrei

Star Member
Jun 27, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
I think that there is some miscommunication here...

olgasc,

Are you sure your frineds applied through provincial immigration and not simply indicated on their Federal application that they are planning to go to Winnipeg?

If they indicated Winnipeg as the place where they plan to live after completing process through Federal program, it really does not matter where they go after they land.

Andrei

olgasc

Aug 13, 2004
No,

My friends applied as a skilled worker class to Manitoba itself (provincial immigration). They arrived in Toronto and did not have any problems receiving their PR status, SIN, health cards, etc.

BCbound

Star Member
Jan 4, 2005
If they applied under PNP they MUST go to that province. They would have no problem landing in Toronto. You can land anywhere but then the assumption is that you will make your way via road, rail, air to the province that you have agreed to go to.

It doesn't matter if you try to say it was an honest misunderstanding. Legally you have not kept to your side of the agreement. CIC will take a very dim view of this. It is quite possible and in fact highly likely I believe that if the person were then to apply for citizenship after 3 years, that this would come out. They would be refused citizenship and might well be kicked out of the country.

olgasc

Aug 13, 2004
What do you think of that???

Once you enter Canada as a Permanent Resident, you will be able to live anywhere you wish inside of Canada's borders regardless of the initial settlement response you submitted through your application for Permanent Residency. As a Canadian Permanent Resident, you are guaranteed a basic right of "mobility" under Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

Canada's Charter of Rights and Freedoms States clearly in Section 6.2 that:

Every citizen of Canada and every person who has the status of a Permanent Resident of Canada has the right

a) to move to and take up residence in any province; and
b) to pursue the gaining of a livelihood in any province.