+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying from Ontario with Quebec employer (remote)

EEboi

Sep 21, 2020
Hello all,

After living in Quebec we have moved to Ontario and will be applying for EE under Canadian experience class in a few weeks, after receiving ITA recently.
I gained my Canadian work experience working for a Quebec employer. I told my employer that I will be quitting and moving to Ontario, but we came to an understanding that I will be able to continue to work remotely as long as it doesn't hurt my chances at immigration through EE.
I know that ties to Quebec are problematic for EE, although several consultants said that a letter from my employer stating that they will be employing me remotely should be enough as long as my address is in Ontario and I'm applying from Ontario.

My question is -
In the scenario where I am applying while already residing in Ontario, should I address my "intention to reside outside Quebec" in an explanation letter because of my remote work ties, or should I upload everything as if I'm simply applying from a non-QC province and wait until they require an explanation about that, which I understand they do if needed, and then provide all the proof that I have been living in Ontario and intend to stay here (Ontario lease, things like my spouses' business registration, perhaps drivers license, debit card history in Ontario)
Also, would it be safer to simply quit my current job or switch to working freelance with my employer?
We did move only recently as soon as I completed the 1 year of Canadian experience.

Thank you for your help!

Dhan09

Aug 3, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
07-03-2020
AOR Received.
07-03-2020
Don't wait for them to send a procedural fairness letter. Submit the proofs at first itself when you apply. I think a letter from the employer about remote work is enough. Ontario lease and other docs are required to prove that you have moved from Quebec after applying for EE. But in your case you have always moved. So those are optional I would say. Well let's hear the opinions of other experts too.

EEboi

Sep 21, 2020
Don't wait for them to send a procedural fairness letter. Submit the proofs at first itself when you apply. I think a letter from the employer about remote work is enough. Ontario lease and other docs are required to prove that you have moved from Quebec after applying for EE. But in your case you have always moved. So those are optional I would say. Well let's hear the opinions of other experts too.
Thank you for you reply :)

whitesquirrel

Mar 12, 2021
Hello all,

After living in Quebec we have moved to Ontario and will be applying for EE under Canadian experience class in a few weeks, after receiving ITA recently.
I gained my Canadian work experience working for a Quebec employer. I told my employer that I will be quitting and moving to Ontario, but we came to an understanding that I will be able to continue to work remotely as long as it doesn't hurt my chances at immigration through EE.
I know that ties to Quebec are problematic for EE, although several consultants said that a letter from my employer stating that they will be employing me remotely should be enough as long as my address is in Ontario and I'm applying from Ontario.

My question is -
In the scenario where I am applying while already residing in Ontario, should I address my "intention to reside outside Quebec" in an explanation letter because of my remote work ties, or should I upload everything as if I'm simply applying from a non-QC province and wait until they require an explanation about that, which I understand they do if needed, and then provide all the proof that I have been living in Ontario and intend to stay here (Ontario lease, things like my spouses' business registration, perhaps drivers license, debit card history in Ontario)
Also, would it be safer to simply quit my current job or switch to working freelance with my employer?
We did move only recently as soon as I completed the 1 year of Canadian experience.

Thank you for your help!
Hello! I am wondering if there is a concern in case the work permit has a specific "employer location" stated. Does your work permit have this kind of restriction? Thank you and good luck!!!