+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying for Temp Work Visa while PR Application Pending?

GK

Dec 18, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Detroit
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-06-2008
Passport Req..
20-07-2008
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2008
LANDED..........
01-10-2008
Hi again and thanks for all the good responses I have got.

We are just about to send the out-of country sponsorship and PR application. My wife is Canadian. I foresee no issues with this as we now have all the supporting documents.

I have already applied for some jobs in Canada. I’ve been honest from the start telling potential employers that I don’t have legal status in Canada yet and the time-line is not known. I have had a few interviews already in Canada and been contacted by other Canadian companies that would like to meet with me.

If I should be offered a job without legal status I would have to apply for a temporary work visa since my PR will take several months (applying from US). Will there be any issues when have a pending PR application in Buffalo while moving to Canada on temporary work visa and would I be able to “transfer” this pending out-of country PR application to an in-country sponsorship and PR application?

Many thanks,

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

GK said:
Hi again and thanks for all the good responses I have got.

We are just about to send the out-of country sponsorship and PR application. My wife is Canadian. I foresee no issues with this as we now have all the supporting documents.

I have already applied for some jobs in Canada. I've been honest from the start telling potential employers that I don't have legal status in Canada yet and the time-line is not known. I have had a few interviews already in Canada and been contacted by other Canadian companies that would like to meet with me.

If I should be offered a job without legal status I would have to apply for a temporary work visa since my PR will take several months (applying from US). Will there be any issues when have a pending PR application in Buffalo while moving to Canada on temporary work visa and would I be able to “transfer” this pending out-of country PR application to an in-country sponsorship and PR application?

Many thanks,
1. The prospective employer would have to obtain an LMO (Labour Market Opinion) from Service Canada that there are not Canadians or PRs available for the job and they have advertised extensively. This can take up to 36 weeks depending on the province. If it is a "job under pressure" in that province, then the LMO can be processed in 1 week. If you got a positive LMO you would have to obtain the work permit outside Canada.
2, You cannot change and outside application to an inside (which is probably foolish, as you can process an outside application while living in Canada.) If you wanted to do that, you would have to withdraw the application and then submit an entirely new package to Vergrevill.e

PMM