+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

applying for immigration under family class within Canada

bambam

Feb 12, 2008
ok.. my boyfriend of 3 years is coming to Canada on a TRV, he is from Ukraine. When here, we plan to marry, and then apply for immigration. Because we are both guys (same-cex -- yes i know its with an s.. it was censored), we need to marry here in Canada -- according to Immigration Canada, and that it is not allowed in his country. We want to then to apply for immigration.. from within Canada. I am a CDN Citizen, and am willing to sponsor. It is driving me crazy, and costing a lot of money to go back and forth. Does anyone have any information on this process. Once we are married, I dont want him to go back there. His parents threw him out of the house, and his brother has disowned him, and his friends there have also done so.. I am paying for an appartment there for him, but its getting expensive. there is nothing for him to go back to.. and this is really hard, further, because there is so many problems there.. his life is at risk.

Any help would be great. I think i will need to talk to an immigration lawyer.. but looking for any advise on this process of applying from within Canada.

thanks

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
I you guys get married and you have evidence of your relationship in emails and otherwise, I don't think you'll have any problems.

Keep in mind that if you sponsor him in-Canada and he leaves sometimes during the process, he won't be allowed to return to Canada until the application is approved.

Good luck!

ThirstyDeer

Star Member
Feb 10, 2008
If he can prove his life is at risk, the option of refugee status might be there, although it's slim to get through it, and I think it's mainly aimed at people who's life is in danger by their own government because of their views and whatnot.

As Thaiguy said, if the evidence is there (showing you've been paying for his apartment for however long is a good piece of proof), then there's no real reason why your plan wouldn't work. There's no real need to hire a lawyer, unless you feel more at ease using one, but you won't get any special treatment by CIC.

All the forms you need are here:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/spouse.asp

Download the guide, as it is a good tool in explaining the process, and how to fill out the forms. It's relatively straight forward, hence hiring a lawyer potentially being redundant.