+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applying after 2 years?

zhalmaster

Sep 15, 2009
Many people especially Canadian citizen who are my friends here they say I can apply for permanent residency after to 2 years of work here in alberta I have just have enough money for financial record and hire a good lawyer,I told them how can I apply if my bachelor Degree is BS Comp.Science and my previous work from the Philippines is Passenger Assistance at Manila International Airport and my current work here in edmonton is a food counter attendant? Is it true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Under what program would you apply for PR? If you don't have at least a year of skilled work experience, you can not qualify under the skilled worker program and I don't think passenger assistance would qualify as a skilled job. To apply under CEC, you need 2 years of skilled work and food counter attendant isn't skilled. Hiring a lawyer will not change the requirements for the program.

You could apply under the Alberta PNP semi-skilled class after 6 months of work if your employer sponsors you.

Another option, you could try to get promoted by your employer to a skilled position or get another job which is a skilled position and then you would be able to apply after 2 years of doing that job. For example, if you get a job as a shift manager in a fast food place, you are considered skilled.

INCALGARY

Sep 23, 2009
HI LEON,
I AM A LOW SKILLED FOOD COUNTER ATTENDANT HERE IN ALBERTA TOO.

IF MY EMPLOYER WILL SPONSOR ME. OR PROMOTE ME TO A SKILLED LEVEL.
HOW LONG WILL IT ATKE FOR MY FAMILY TO BE HERE WITH ME...

CAN THEY FOLLOW ONCE I GOT PROMOTED?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your family can apply for a visit visa to visit you any time if you can afford it but there is no guarantee they will get it and after 6 months they would have to leave or apply to extend. If you get promoted to a skilled level, your spouse can apply for an open work permit but again, there is no guarantee it will be issued. Immigration needs to be convinced that you will leave if your permits expire and you don't get PR.

If your employer sponsors you under AINP, it may take about a year to get PR for you and your family. You should talk to AINP and ask though because the timelines have changed, especially since they are so busy with the H1B program but I know a guy who applied a year ago and he has his PR by now.