+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Applied to PR from Canada, need to move outside of Canada

hare778

Feb 27, 2020
Hello,

My common-law partner and I got our CSQ and applied for PR, got reception confirmation on May 2019.
Now we would like to leave for Europe for the next few year, come back when we have our PR, do one more year, and apply for Citizenship once elligible.

Now I tried to call the immigration information number but it was full and there is no queue it just hangs up I will try again at 8 am sharp.

In the mean time does anyone have any informations regarding changing our PR Contact adress from our adress here in Quebec to an adress in Europe ?

Can we do that ? We would like to leave without risking loosing our current progress with the PR Application.

Myself: french nationality, herself: Indian nationality. Her visa and work permit expire April 2021, is that any problem if we don't have our PR by then and are still in Europe?

Thank you

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
It depends on how you applied for PR.

Even if you leave now, manage to update your address, if you are granted PR you will be required to return to Canada to activate it. Once you have "landed," activating your PR, you must live in Canada for 2 years out of every 5 (counted as 730 days in Canada in 5 years).

So if your plan is to leave for Europe for "a few years," you will still need to stay in Canada for at least 2 years. You are only eligible for citizenship after three years physically present in Canada in the five years before you apply for citizenship.

hare778

Feb 27, 2020
The thing is I can't update the adress to an andress outside of Canada, as the drop down menu is grayed out / locked onto Canada (on the edit my adress page from CIC website) . Should I rent a mailbox? Is this legal ?

A few years is calculated accordingly to not risk anything about citizenship indeed.
We have sorted out we only need to do one more year since we have both worked/lived in Canada for 4 years and 1 year = 0.5 year for citizenship elligibility.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
The thing is I can't update the adress as the drop down menu is grayed out onto Canada. Should I rent a mailbox? Is this legal ?

A few years is calculated accordingly to not risk anything about citizenship indeed.
We have sorted out we only need to do one more year since we have both worked/lived in Canada for 4 years and 1 year = 0.5 year for citizenship elligibility.
You can only count 365 days of temporary status in Canada for citizenship. So 4 years is 1 year.

You still need 2 as PR. And the time living in Canada has to be within the 5 years prior to your application for citizenship. So if you apply, for example, in 2025, only time in Canada from 2020-2025 will count. You will not be permitted to use time from 2016. You will lose some of your 4 years.

hare778

Feb 27, 2020
Specialized / skilled worker, we applied by mail on the same request with my common-law partner.

Thank you for the update about citizenship!

Last edited: