+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Application for Canadian Citizenship - A Comprehensive Guide

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
I came to Canada in feb 2020 as a refugee and dec2020 my case accepted and got my pr card in april 2022. Can someone guide me wen i can apply for citizenship?
You have to accumulate 1095 days, or 3 years. You need at least 2 years since the day you became a PR, and every day since you became a protected person, aka since December 2020, counts as half a day, up to a year.

Rough calculation since you don't give the exact dates, and didn't say whether you leaved the country since you came.

- Before the PR, from December 2020 to April 2022 (assuming that's when you became a PR, not got the PR card!) : that's around 16 months, counting for half, so 8 months credited.
- since becoming a PR in April 2022 : 9 months in 2022 and all 12 of 2023, so 21 months.
All in all, that gives around 29 months. You still need at least 7 other months or so before you are eligible, so, next summer...
Make sure you add some buffer in addition to these needed months before you apply, and make some precise calculations with the actuals dates, not mere months. The physical presence calculator can tell you when you'll be eligible given your exact situation :
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do

Reactions: forw.jane

racheelnaeem

Star Member
May 8, 2016
You have to accumulate 1095 days, or 3 years. You need at least 2 years since the day you became a PR, and every day since you became a protected person, aka since December 2020, counts as half a day, up to a year.

Rough calculation since you don't give the exact dates, and didn't say whether you leaved the country since you came.

- Before the PR, from December 2020 to April 2022 (assuming that's when you became a PR, not got the PR card!) : that's around 16 months, counting for half, so 8 months credited.
- since becoming a PR in April 2022 : 9 months in 2022 and all 12 of 2023, so 21 months.
All in all, that gives around 29 months. You still need at least 7 other months or so before you are eligible, so, next summer...
Make sure you add some buffer in addition to these needed months before you apply, and make some precise calculations with the actuals dates, not mere months. The physical presence calculator can tell you when you'll be eligible given your exact situation :
https://eservices.cic.gc.ca/rescalc/resCalcStartNew.do
My protected person status received on 18 December 2020.
21 feb i got pr approval and pr card received on 16 april 2022.
I didn't go out of Canada in all this time.

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
My protected person status received on 18 December 2020.
21 feb i got pr approval and pr card received on 16 april 2022.
I didn't go out of Canada in all this time.
For info, the day you received the PR card doesn't matter at all, only the day you became a PR.
Make your calculations with days counting for half between 18 Dec 2020 and 20 Feb 2022 and counting for full since 21 Feb :)

Discer

Dec 30, 2023
Hello, can I please have an answer to the below question?
Do I need to add a translated version of the national passport of my birth country? Or an international passport is enough?

If I need to add a national passport (the one in my language), and currently don't have one with me - what should be written in the application?

Thank You.

pateldpk1

Nov 7, 2020
Hello Friends, I need your help.

I am planning to submit my citizenship file (applying Online). I have few questions:-

1) Under physical presence section: I got PGWork permit 4 months before study permit expiry. which expiry date I should put (in section Date of Expiry Status) for study permit. the once in study permit they mentioned or the day before I got my PGWP?

2) what documents to upload under Optional Document Section? is it good idea to
upload all pages of old and new passport?

3) for some months I was staying in different address vs address in driving license. which address to put? the one in driving license or the kne I was actually staying in those period?

4) I have total 1120 days. should I apply or add more buffer before applying? does it impact the process?

Ali.arshady

Star Member
Nov 27, 2023
PART - 5

Prepare and send your application package
  • Neatly arrange documents, section-wise. The following is my recommendation but feel free to suit yourself.
    • Have the document checklist as your first document
    • Place your photos in a small envelope, mark the envelope with "Photos" and attach this to the document checklist using paper clip.
    • Use paper clips to bind documents of a particular section together. For example, you would use a paperclip to hold all the biographical pages of passport. Likewise, you'll use another paper clip to hold your identification documents together.
    • Triple check that you have all the documents AND the contents of your application form - Have a friend or a family member verify this for you.
    • DO NOT STAPLE YOUR DOCUMENTS TOGETHER.
  • Your application package should contain the following (mandatory):
    • Document Checklist
    • Photos in a small envelope attached to the document checklist with paperclip
    • Citizenship application form, signed and dated
    • Physical presence calculator, signed and dated
    • Photocopies of biological pages of passport(s)/travel documents
    • Photocopy of identity documents
    • Photocopy of language proof
    • Fee receipt
  • Your application package might also contain the following (if it applies to you):
    • Letter of Explanation (if it applies to you)
    • Original Police certificates (if it applies to you)
    • Translations (if it applies to you) - Submit both original version of the document AND the translation
    • Other supporting documents, if they apply to you, as mentioned in the document checklist
  • I would recommend placing all the documents inside a transparent plastic folder before placing it inside an envelope.
  • If you are sending the application for you and your family, you can include all applications in a single envelope.
    • Note: If even one document is missing for one family member, the entire envelope will be returned back to the applicant.
If you are sending it via courier - Send it to:

If you are sending it by regular mail - Send it to:

Tip: Pre-Application and Application Phase

1. DO NOT submit your application with exactly 1095 days.
    • In case you make a mistake, even inadvertently, your application will be refused AND you will NOT receive your processing fee back.
    • I strongly recommend having a buffer period of at least 2 - 3 months (1115 days minimum)
    • If IRCC has the slightest doubt about your residency, you might get additional documentation request which is a pain the rear.
    • More on this in the next section.
Quick Question

i landed in Canada in 2018 May and May 2024 is the 6th year.
1.5-2 Years-- student Visa
2 Years -- Work Permit
2 Years PR ( Jan19 , 2024---- 1095)

never leave the country since 2018.
Question:
there is no miscalculation, and I will be eligible to apply on Jan 19, 2024, still should wait for 2-3 month then apply or not?

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Quick Question

i landed in Canada in 2018 May and May 2024 is the 6th year.
1.5-2 Years-- student Visa
2 Years -- Work Permit
2 Years PR ( Jan19 , 2024---- 1095)

never leave the country since 2018.
Question:
there is no miscalculation, and I will be eligible to apply on Jan 19, 2024, still should wait for 2-3 month then apply or not?
If you sure you did not leave the country since 2018, a buffer of a week or 1.5 week is enough. 2-3 month buffer is not needed.

Reactions: Ali.arshady

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
110% sure. lool

do you think if i apply on Jn19 would it be risky ? cuz i do not want to wait even a week
If you apply on perfect 1095 days during the Physical presence check the officer have to be extra cautious in validating your days because a single day miss can lead to your application be rejected. It also triggers multi level officer validation. All this takes months sometime. If you go with a buffer things become easier.

Temitee002

Jan 26, 2021
110% sure. lool

do you think if i apply on Jn19 would it be risky ? cuz i do not want to wait even a week
Trust me, if all your calculations are right, you can even apply on the 1096th day. For me, I travelled five times during my eligibility period, all my calculations were correct as I always logged my travel dates on a journal and I applied on the 1096th day- My app is already finalized and I have my Oath date already. It all depends on your calculation, if you are sure, you can apply the next day you become eligible and it won’t have any effect on your application. However, if you feel the dates aren’t clear, have enough buffer to make sure. People generally are just cautious incase of a travel date they didn’t remember

Ali.arshady

Star Member
Nov 27, 2023
Trust me, if all your calculations are right, you can even apply on the 1096th day. For me, I travelled five times during my eligibility period, all my calculations were correct as I always logged my travel dates on a journal and I applied on the 1096th day- My app is already finalized and I have my Oath date already. It all depends on your calculation, if you are sure, you can apply the next day you become eligible and it won’t have any effect on your application. However, if you feel the dates aren’t clear, have enough buffer to make sure. People generally are just cautious incase of a travel date they didn’t remember
Well. i did not have any travel since May 2018. had student visa since may though my class started on July 1st, 2018. even with that still i am eligible on Jan 19th. i have checked the number with Physical Presence Calculator (cic.gc.ca) and also i did fill out the online application to be ready for apply and it shows i am eligible on Jan 19th ( 1096).

fahadazh

Star Member
Aug 29, 2016
Hello Group, Appreciate your kind response on below points;

1. For my Minor's application, can I provide PR card and non Canadian passport biopage? As in Calgary the health card doesnt have the pictures, another option is to attach school report for my kids?

2. In last 4 years, if I travelled back home for vacation or family meet up etc, for a month or so, do I need to mention those addresses under address history?

3. For Minors applying for citizenship at the same time and along with one of the parents, do they also need to meet the 1095 days requirement?

Thanks

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hello Group, Appreciate your kind response on below points;

1. For my Minor's application, can I provide PR card and non Canadian passport biopage? As in Calgary the health card doesnt have the pictures, another option is to attach school report for my kids?

2. In last 4 years, if I travelled back home for vacation or family meet up etc, for a month or so, do I need to mention those addresses under address history?

3. For Minors applying for citizenship at the same time and along with one of the parents, do they also need to meet the 1095 days requirement?

Thanks
2 and 3 - No

TRM

Aug 27, 2021
hello ,

My wife has Bachelor's and Master's degrees. She has a medium of English for her Bachelor however don't have a Master's. Will that work or do we need for the Master too?