England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Hi all. We are landing in May and my phone contract will be finished. Does anyone know if it is possible to get an iPhone contract without getting the phone? I have found lots of places that do the phone without s contract but I want the reverse! (typical!!)
If not we may as well sell this one and get a new one I guess

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
Hi all. We are landing in May and my phone contract will be finished. Does anyone know if it is possible to get an iPhone contract without getting the phone? I have found lots of places that do the phone without s contract but I want the reverse! (typical!!)
If not we may as well sell this one and get a new one I guess
To be honest, all the people I know that own iPhones pay a minimum of $120 a month in fees. The Brits who use their phone like they did in the UK ( a lot of data), hit the $200 mark real fast.

You may reconsider after reading this:
http://apeatling.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/iphone-3g-costs-uk-vs-usa-vs-canada/

AlanWales

Star Member
Dec 11, 2009
Wales
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-07-09
File Transfer...
04-08-09
Med's Done....
15-06-09
Interview........
Not required.
Passport Req..
12-11-09
VISA ISSUED...
09-12-09
LANDED..........
09-01-10
Baloo said:
To be honest, all the people I know that own iPhones pay a minimum of $120 a month in fees. The Brits who use their phone like they did in the UK ( a lot of data), hit the $200 mark real fast.

You may reconsider after reading this:
http://apeatling.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/iphone-3g-costs-uk-vs-usa-vs-canada/
We are with Fido, have three phones for the family including two iPhones and our charges are about $227 for the three, both iPhones have huge data plans which we have never managed to breach and we use the phones predominantly for data usage.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Canada pays among the highest rate for wireless service in the developed world. Kind of like car insurance........ :-[

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Yeah, I got an insurance quote!! I worked in insurance before I had my little boys and I would never have expected such a huge difference in premiums over there...I always knew there had to be something that wasn't better than the UK, I just couldn't work out what it was before!!!!

Tiggilicious

Jun 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-02-2011
AOR Received.
28-06-2011
File Transfer...
01-03-2011
Med's Request
31-07-2011
Med's Done....
14-01-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
08-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
30-08-2011
I use Bell and pay $65 for my iphone4 and phone useage. 500mb data, 400 anytime minutes, and my fives within the country of unlimited calling to. I love it :)

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AlanWales said:
We are with Fido, have three phones for the family including two iPhones and our charges are about $227 for the three, both iPhones have huge data plans which we have never managed to breach and we use the phones predominantly for data usage.
How much data is in your plan?

CharlotteJ

Jul 31, 2009
If you do bring your own iPhone with you, sim lock free, you can better choose for "Pay as you go" option offered by Rogers.

You buy a sim card, 10$, 20$, 50$ or 100$ and each time you need to add extra minutes, you just call in and pay for as muc has you go to buy minutes.

I was using this option in the first month or so and was quite cheap and easy to use.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Baloo said:
How much data is in your plan?
What is data??....and I don't mean a dictionary definition (just in case anyone has their sarcastic head on today!!) ;D

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
What is data??....and I don't mean a dictionary definition (just in case anyone has their sarcastic head on today!!) ;D
"Data" or more specifically "the amount of data allowed on the plan".

Web browsing, video, online games, downloaded music and other Internet use, involve data transfer to, or from a smart phone (like the iPhone).
Some providers allow a certain amount of data for free, once this "free" data allowance is "used" they charge when you use more. Other providers allow unlimited use (a fair usage clause often applies).

FWIW there is no "free" anything, from any provider in Canada.

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
Wow...we only pay £35 a month for our Iphones and we have unlimited internet, music and calls and 500 texts.

So negative things are:- CANADA - phones and car insurance
UK - everything except phones and car insurance...and chocolate !!!

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Canooknic said:
Wow...we only pay £35 a month for our Iphones and we have unlimited internet, music and calls and 500 texts.

So negative things are:- CANADA - phones and car insurance
UK - everything except phones and car insurance...and chocolate !!!
That is a reasonable start to a long list :)

Also add the cost of prescription drugs in Canada (unless you have a great medical plan).