+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Any pharmacists who've moved to Canada - advice re: pharmacy in Canada

miss_mp

Star Member
Nov 15, 2013
Hi I'm looking for any opinions/advice - just wondered if there are any pharmacists (or anyone who knows of one) who've made the move to Canada, and whether they've gained licensing in Canada or found alternative related work.
And if they've gained licensing, what they think of pharmacy practice in Canada?

I'm a UK-trained pharmacist, and have been working in hospital pharmacy (clinical) for almost 18 years. I made my move to Canada a year and a half ago (on permanent residence), but currently back in the UK temporarily. My initial decision, was to find related alternative careers that didn't need licensing. I did more or less ruled-out going through the process of exams - since looking at the process, it is long and expensive, and the thought really quite daunting. But trying to find work that might be related without having professional licensing didn't seem easy. And so I've been reconsidering whether on the long-run, getting licensing is the right move for me, or persevere with finding something else. I don't absolutely love being a pharmacist, but i would feel a little sad to leave the profession I've been working in, and its what I known for so long.

Just wondered if anyone is working as a hospital pharmacist in Canada, and are there requirements to getting into hospital pharmacy after you gain licensing - I'm not sure if some hospitals prefer additional qualifications? And wondered if there are any pharmacists who've gone through the process, and what they think - whether it was worth it, or if you've found an alternative career path, or if you have any advice.

Many thanks in advance.