+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Another question for ImmOfficer.

Eric Parker

Star Member
Jun 26, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello again kind sir.

This has to do with the proof of showing your relationship with your sponsor is " on-going and genuine".

I realize that your office deals with many fraudulant cases where a 'relationship' is only used in a loose sense to gain Canadian residency. The forms ask for a LOT of information that, truthfully, I just threw away because it never dawned on me, or my wife, to save such items as plane tickets, movie stubs, hotel records, ect that would "prove" an on-going relationship.

I recently married a Canadian (Born and raised) in Canada after almost 8 years of courtship. She visited me here in the States more than I visited her in Alberta during that time. It was not until we started the process (Family Class) that we realized that we only had "proof" of our relationship back only 4 to 5 years or so. Some of the data does not exist any longer because we either discarded it long ago or the entities (like the airlines and phone companies) only keep records for a certain amount of time and do not have the records. We really tried our best to get a lot of pictures and other pertanent items.

Will an IO have a problen with this, or will the IO keep this as a consideration being that the relationship is almost 8 years old?

Another caveat to this - I had a previous application under the FSW class, but it was returned without prejudice and no decision due to the fact that the importance of the NOC codes were changed and my NOC code was not one of the ones listed for futher processing. I know that an IO would take this into consideration but would it help or hinder my Family Class application? My wife and I were willing to do the Family Class first, but were told (under lawyer advisement) to do the FSW class first. We went the Family class way after the NOC codes got changed under the FSW class.

Thanks much!

soldier123

May 6, 2009
Nice question Eric Parker.

ImmOfficer, Welcome to the forum. It's nice to have someone with such acknowledge to help us.
I also had FSW and I withdraw in December 08...just a few days before the rules changed,
my code is still under the new rules but to continue the process I would have to return to my country which would be
unbearable for my husband and I. I didn't receive a refusal or have any problem.
At that time I contacted the visa office that was handling my file and they said that wouldn't impact my
inland process, because they were completely different processes.
My questions are: An immigration officer, does have access to all the visa history
even if that occurred outside Canada?Do they verify that before making a decision?
Would this be a red flag on my file?

Thank you!!