+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for CEC?

rblack

Jul 24, 2009
Hey there,

I'm 24 from New Zealand and I have had one 12month work permit and am currently on my second 12month work permit.

I got laid off my job and left the country late June for a family matter now I'm going back in August and finish off my Work permit.

Would that qualify me for 2 years if I have been out of work for only 3 months and that was due to the recession?

I have my girlfriend there are we are pretty worried than I wont be allowed to stay, and we aren't going to go the marrige route to get residency!

I was a retail manager for 6 months and was a data entry clerk for 11 months prior to me leaving (both were full time jobs).

Thankyou for any help!
Russ

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
CEC says you need 2 years full time skilled work or the equivalent there of. You should call immigration and ask if you are not sure if you qualify.

I see a problem right away with data entry clerk unless your work permit actually says something other than that because data entry clerk is not a skilled position. If you look at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=1&val1=1422&val65=data+entry+clerk the NOC code is 1422 and the 4 tells you this is a skill level C job so considered semi-skilled. Retail manager at http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/ProfileQuickSearch.aspx?val=0&val1=0621&val65=retail+manager is a skilled position, you see from the NOC code starting with 0.

You need to job where the NOC code either starts with 0 (skill type 0 position) or if it doesn't start with 0, the 2nd digit needs to be 1 (skill level A) or 2 or 3 (both skill level B). Jobs where the NOC code does not start with 0 and the 2nd digit is not 1, 2 or 3 are not considered skilled for immigration purposes.

If you have lived with your girlfriend for 12 months, you would classify as a common law and she could sponsor you. Otherwise, you should try to find a skilled job so you can qualify for some immigration program.

rblack

Jul 24, 2009
Leon,

You're a f'n champion!

I've been living with my girlfriend since late 2008 and when I go back in August i'll still be living with her until January. I didnt know that you could get sponsored if you are not married, but common law will do us perfect.

We both have mail addressed to us at the same house and when I get back I will open a joint account and see if We could get some utilities under or name (It's her parents house so they pay all utillities so it might not even matter)

Thanks heaps for your help buddy. It's really stressing trying to figure out how to stay with my girlfriend in Canada without getting married (we're jsut not ready for that step yet as she's only 19) and I've done it!