+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Am I eligible for any kind of insurance or health coverage?

AsianBabe

Mar 6, 2010
PHILIPPINES
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
July, 2010
I am sponsored by my husband and I just got my visa. We applied to live in Quebec because he's from there but last week he got a better job offer in Alberta. So we might live in Alberta instead of Quebec. I'm planning to have my first landing next month. What if i get pregnant? Am I eligible for any kind of insurance or health coverage?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you come to Quebec as a new PR, you would have to wait 3 months to be covered by health care but I think they make exceptions for pregnancy related expenses and child birth.

If you move to Alberta from outside Canada, you have full health care from the first day but if you move from Quebec, you might have to wait 3 months since they would assume you already have Quebec coverage. However, if you were in Quebec less than 3 months and didn't have coverage yet, Alberta might look at it like you having moved from outside Canada and cover you from day one. You would have to ask them because it's not an every day situation.

Still, if you are not pregnant yet but might become pregnant in the next couple of months, waiting 3 months for health coverage will not be a big deal.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,
Are you sure that she can land in Alberta if her husband resides in Quebec ?
I think Albertian Healthcare authority could take a clother look at such kind of arrangement.
Are you fully responsible for your advice ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
haver said:
Hi Leon,
Are you sure that she can land in Alberta if her husband resides in Quebec ?
I think Albertian Healthcare authority could take a clother look at such kind of arrangement.
Are you fully responsible for your advice ?
I did not tell her to land in Alberta. I just told her that *if* she moved to Alberta from another country, she would be covered from day one. Of course she should check with CIC if it is ok for her to land there but I think it would be. Since she has a federal PR visa so she should be able to land anywhere she wants, especially if her husband has already moved there first. Having the Quebec selection certificate on top of that also allows her to land in Quebec but she has already met the federal requirements or she wouldn't have the visa.

Alberta wouldn't like it if she faked a move there just to get health care and then went back to Quebec but that is far from what she is doing. Her husband wants to move there because he got a better job. Like I said, it is even possible that Alberta health would cover her from day one if she moved from Quebec while she is still waiting for coverage but she would have to ask Alberta health about that.

Nobody is responsible for their advice here. That's why it's free and any free advice should be taken with a grain of salt. I see in your signature that you are selling insurance so I have to question your motives too. I am not selling anything at all :)

AsianBabe

Mar 6, 2010
PHILIPPINES
Visa Office......
MANILA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
July, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys...

Leon, thank u for taking the time to answer... God Bless... :-*

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Leon, thank you for your responce. I think that as an insurance licensed person,
I am fully responsible for my any insurance advice given to public or to an individual.
All people here have any purposes to be. I try to share my knowledge in insurance and
taxation area in hope that in reward somebody will use my service.

People have to buy insurance anyway. If somebody overpay for insurance let say 50 baks
it is not a big deal.
If somebody save 50 baks and get medical emergency for 75,000 baks it won't be a big fun.

I also know the case as immigration consultant paid medical expenses 6years ago for his
client with a work permit because the client did not have medical insurance.

shuvro

Apr 16, 2010
we are moving to toronto in june 2010. my son has thalassaemia major requirnig monthly blood transfusion. during the 3 months waiting period , can we arrange for any private insurance facility?

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) Where are you moving from ?
2) There are different insurance companies with different policies.
Please download the medical questionary from my website http://www.arbetovinsurance.com/visitorstocanada (on the right top) and fax directly to insurance company (the fax number is on the form)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can go to any medical facility in Canada and pay up front if you don't have insurance but you should at least get emergency insurance in case you have a serious illness or accident during the 3 months. As for getting insurance fully covering your sons medical needs, normally the insurance for a pre-existing condition would cost you more than paying up front. Otherwise why would they insure you just to take a loss for a treatment he will certainly need? Check first what the treatment would cost vs. what the insurance would cost before you buy it.

haver

May 30, 2009
Vancouver
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As usualy, medical insurance with pre-existing conditions (if they are stable) is 30% more expensive.
Otherwise insurance company won't sell you insurance for such conditions.

tahmeed

Jul 21, 2016
shuvro said:
we are moving to toronto in june 2010. my son has thalassaemia major requirnig monthly blood transfusion. during the 3 months waiting period , can we arrange for any private insurance facility?
My child also have thalassemia, i also like to migrate in canada, may i know your situation please?

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
tahmeed said:
My child also have thalassemia, i also like to migrate in canada, may i know your situation please?
This thread is 6 years old, they have not been on this board for also 6 years..You may not get an answer!