+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After winning the residency obligation appeal, what's next?

deadly_deathscyhe

Aug 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 23, 2012
AOR Received.
October 10, 2012
File Transfer...
October 10, 2012
Passport Req..
still waiting
Hello. I almost lost my permanent residence status when the CIC did not allow me to go back to Canada since I have not met my residency obligations. So I filed for an appeal. And I won.

Now, I need to know what to do next after I receive the decision letter coming from the IAD which says my residency obligation appeal is allowed. The letter which came from them contains only the decision but there are no specific instructions on what will I do next. I need some help here. Thank you!

neuroticdan

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Wow, congratulations on the appeal! I'm one step behind you: Outside Canada and not meeting the 730 day requirement! My card expires in Feb'11 and I only have about 365 days to my credit.

I'm thinking about entering again, any advice of what to do/say at the point of entry? I've even been thinking about writing a fake date on the customs form (i.e. say I only left a few days back), but that just feels plain wrong.

I also hear that entering by car is the best way to get through (i.e. less questions asked).

Any advice?

Good luck with the rest of your process!

deadly_deathscyhe

Aug 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 23, 2012
AOR Received.
October 10, 2012
File Transfer...
October 10, 2012
Passport Req..
still waiting
help? anyone?

mika2

Aug 16, 2010
Hi,

can you please tell us your experience with the appeal,e.g. how long did it take? on what grounds did you appeal and so on?

thanks

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hello. I almost lost my permanent residence status when the CIC did not allow me to go back to Canada since I have not met my residency obligations. So I filed for an appeal. And I won.

Now, I need to know what to do next after I receive the decision letter coming from the IAD which says my residency obligation appeal is allowed. The letter which came from them contains only the decision but there are no specific instructions on what will I do next. I need some help here. Thank you!
Great!
Did you use a lawyer? How long did it take?

piedpiper

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Info in these posts is very valuable however old they may be. It is good that they have been retained. It does not really matter whether OP (may not be on the forum any more or does not want to reply) or someone else replies. Just trying to get some useful info.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Info in these posts is very valuable however old they may be. It is good that they have been retained. It does not really matter whether OP (may not be on the forum any more or does not want to reply) or someone else replies. Just trying to get some useful info.
Yes it does matter how long the decision was done.
Government Policies can change greatly from 10 years ago

Reactions: YVR123

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Yes it does matter how long the decision was done.
Government Policies can change greatly from 10 years ago
The last statement above demands emphasis: "Government Policies can change greatly from 10 years ago"

That said, some broad government policies do not change much. But more specific policies can and indeed do change, sometimes "greatly," over the course of 10 years . . . or EVEN two or three years.

And practices, the particular manner and means in which both policy and the law are applied, can and often do change even more dramatically. And more often.

The law itself changes. In the last ten years the requirements for citizenship have changed multiple times with some rather big ones. The transition from a residency requirement to a physical presence requirement, just a bit more than five years ago (June 2015), was huge. Procedural changes in the law have also resulted in substantial changes in how things work. Here too, changes in Citizenship law six years ago (June 2014) loom large, before which the Minister did not have the power to either deny citizenship, or to grant citizenship without a CJ's approval, both of which the Minister subsequently has had the power to do (with exceptions, such as in residency or presence cases). The latter changes have had a big impact on how things actually work.

Sometimes out of the blue an older post of mine will get a positive reaction. I outright CRINGE, hoping the person is not relying on those observations and that information to be current, hoping the individual is taking more current information into consideration. In regards to some subjects even posts just a couple years old should be approached with much caution (noting that generally all posts here should be approached with caution, including mine of course).

THAT SAID . . . sure, older posts can be informative. A lot can be learned from the evolution of policies, practices, rules, and the applicable law. A lot can be learned about the relationship between anecdotal reporting here and information in official or at least more authoritative sources. And sometimes there is simply more comprehensive coverage in this or that older discussion.

But prodding the source of postings this old . . . nah.

Reactions: piedpiper