+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

After Landing

Piyali

Apr 27, 2006
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if I land in Canada through Detroit USA, can I land any time of the day...well my flight lands at about 7.00pm, so I need to know will the timing be fine for all the landing formalities?

And secondly, where will I get the forms for receiving the PR Card and also for the SIN and Health Card? I will be in Canada for 4 days and then leave for India. Do you think the paperwork should be complete within 4 days time ( my part of the paper work, I mean).I know that they send the PR card at the Canadian address given by me...but how and when do I receive the SIN and Health Card?
Any one who can shed some light on these things.........

Thanks in Advance,
Piyali

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Piyali said:
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if I land in Canada through Detroit USA, can I land any time of the day...well my flight lands at about 7.00pm, so I need to know will the timing be fine for all the landing formalities?

And secondly, where will I get the forms for receiving the PR Card and also for the SIN and Health Card? I will be in Canada for 4 days and then leave for India. Do you think the paperwork should be complete within 4 days time ( my part of the paper work, I mean).I know that they send the PR card at the Canadian address given by me...but how and when do I receive the SIN and Health Card?
Any one who can shed some light on these things.........

Thanks in Advance,
Piyali
1. Yes it is 24 hour port, so you can "land" at any time.
2. The PR card will be processed when you land, you don't require any forms. Although the I/O may decide that since you are not taking up residence immediately, that you may have to apply for your PR card when you return from India. If so, you would require a PR travel document issued in Delhi.
3. You can apply for a SIN card at Service Canada, they will give the number, but the card won't arrive for about 2 weeks.
4. You can't apply in Ontario for OHIP as there is 90 day waiting period, and you must be residence for those 90 days.

PMM

Piyali

Apr 27, 2006
Thanks for your reply PMM. Actually I am doing the landing in Canada mainly to do my PR formality. Are you sure that they may not proceed with my PR if I tell them that I will be leaving for India in 4 days time? I am in a fix now as I want to be done with my PR formalities ASAP. Please advise me as to what should I do. If this is the case then can I go to India straight and then come to Canada and do the PR formalities within the specified PR visa period?

I applied from USA. Should it be a problem if I enter Canada from India instead of USA?

My husband, who is the principal applicant will continue to be in Canada, only I and my son want to go to India for about 3 months!

I really want a right answer as on this depends all my travel plans !

Thanks
Piyali

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Piyali said:
Thanks for your reply PMM. Actually I am doing the landing in Canada mainly to do my PR formality. Are you sure that they may not proceed with my PR if I tell them that I will be leaving for India in 4 days time? I am in a fix now as I want to be done with my PR formalities ASAP. Please advise me as to what should I do. If this is the case then can I go to India straight and then come to Canada and do the PR formalities within the specified PR visa period?

I applied from USA. Should it be a problem if I enter Canada from India instead of USA?

My husband, who is the principal applicant will continue to be in Canada, only I and my son want to go to India for about 3 months!

I really want a right answer as on this depends all my travel plans !

Thanks
Piyali
1. They will complete the landing, but may not process the PR card until you return. YOu will still be a PR but just wont have the card, if that is what the officer decides.
2. As long as you have a valid visa, you can enter from any country.

PMM

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Even I am planning to complete the PR formalities and return back to US. I do not intend to immigrate to canada on an immediate basis. Do I need to apply for health insurance card and social security card during this visit? Please advise. Thanks.

shmuhahaha

Star Member
Nov 17, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bavarian said:
Even I am planning to complete the PR formalities and return back to US. I do not intend to immigrate to canada on an immediate basis. Do I need to apply for health insurance card and social security card during this visit? Please advise. Thanks.
To the best of my knowledge, like the previous poster mentioned, you have a 90 day waiting period. SIN you can apply immediately.