Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
11-06-2010
Hello Forums, first time poster here.

One type of ‘evidence or proof of relationship’ submitted when sponsoring a spouse to immigrate to the US commonly used is a signed and notarized affidavit from a close friend or family member. The affidavit basically states the person has true knowledge that a relationship exists between the sponsor and beneficiary. It may also state brief facts or knowledge pertaining to the relationship.

I used to work for USCIS and I have a strong background in US immigration. However, no where could I find on the Canadian Immigration website where this was or was not an acceptable form of evidence to submit when applying for permanent residency to Canada.

I will probably end up getting affidavits from a number of people that know my wife and I unless there is something that says that it would be pointless to do so. Has anyone done this or does anyone have any knowledge or input about this type of affidavit?

Thanks in Advance :)

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Most people just have their friends/family address a letter to the CIC and describe the relationship as they know it and then they have it notarized. There's no form or particular format or anything that I am aware of.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
This type of affidavit is fine to use as evidence. CIC and the appeal board will accept letters and emails from friends and relatives attesting to your genuine relationship; a notarized statement or affidavit is even better. You don't need any though, if you are married.
They just state their name and address, how they know the couple, how and when they met them, state that in their opinion it is a genuine relationship, say why they think so, and maybe go into some details about some activities they have participated in whith the couple.

DJsGirl

May 24, 2010
Hi
All we did was included a list a mile long of friends and family memers who meet him, what day of the meeting and included the phone number of each and addresses and attached it with the application.

BeShoo

Champion Member
Jan 16, 2010
Gatineau
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-01-2014
AOR Received.
28-02-2014
File Transfer...
03-03-2014
Med's Request
19-06-2014
Med's Done....
07-08-2014
Interview........
None
VISA ISSUED...
02-04-2015
LANDED..........
13-04-2015
Take note that the "statutory declaration" doesn't actually have to be "notarized". It can be witnessed and signed by a "commissioner of oaths" which may possibly be done for a lesser fee than a notary would charge.