+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Advice please - seeking PR as Buddhist Monk

suvaco

Nov 6, 2009
Hi All,

I am researching options for PR and am not sure if I qualify for CEC. I have been in Canada on a valid visitor's record for over 2 years, living and practicing as a Buddhist monastic. Lawyers and a CIC officer insisted that I did not need a work permit for this, apparently allowed under R186(l). Would my two+ years in Canada in a religious capacity qualify me for a CEC application?

Thanks in advance,
Bhikkhu Suvaco

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
There is not a whole lot of information on Buddhism as the regulations are tailored towards the 3 monotheistic religions, Christianity, Islam and Judaism. You may well qualify for CEC under NOC 4154 and/or 4217.

The trick is to prove that your position in the temple is comparative to the above two NOC occupations and you have received similar grade of salary.

suvaco

Nov 6, 2009
Hi Helios,

Thanks for the reply. Buddhist monks are prohibited from owning or having power over money, and our order keeps the rules very strictly - there is no salary involved. I have a formal relationship to the monastery, but it is not traditional employment. Any thoughts on how the Canadian government would view this sort of thing for CEC?

helios

Star Member
Oct 30, 2009
If you do not receive a salary, then chances are that you will not qualify under CEC, as it requires 2 years of paid full time experience (temporary worker).