+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

a question

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
Hello everyone, I'm interested in hiring a person from Peru to work as a caregiver, I know that that I have to post the job offer in the job bank site and after do the LMIA, the question that I have is " DO i have to have a business in order to hire a caregiver" when I was trying to post the job offer, it asked for my business name. DO I NEED ONE?

and my second question is this, my wife and I, we both work and between us make around $125,000 a year, do we qualify to be exempted from doing this? Plus we have a child who is 11 years and he is autistic, so this is the main reason for us to bring this person to help us while my wife and I go to work and also we speak Spanish at home and my son understands both languages English and Spanish.

Please anyone who could help me. thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone, I'm interested in hiring a person from Peru to work as a caregiver, I know that that I have to post the job offer in the job bank site and after do the LMIA, the question that I have is " DO i have to have a business in order to hire a caregiver" when I was trying to post the job offer, it asked for my business name. DO I NEED ONE?

and my second question is this, my wife and I, we both work and between us make around $125,000 a year, do we qualify to be exempted from doing this? Plus we have a child who is 11 years and he is autistic, so this is the main reason for us to bring this person to help us while my wife and I go to work and also we speak Spanish at home and my son understands both languages English and Spanish.

I'm not sure what you mean by "exempted from doing this" (specifically the "this").

You qualify for a processing fee exemption but you still need the CRA business number and need to go through the LMIA process.

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/foreign-workers/caregiver/requirements.html

robflo

Jul 14, 2009
thank you very much for your reply . do you know if this is true? The Live-In Caregiver Program is currently closed for new applicants, If this is so, that means I am too late for this program. I can also see that this whole process is not very simple,

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020

Yes you need a business number as you have to set up payroll for your caregiver. There is no exemption from this.

You need to post the job in more than just Job Bank. You need to post on several sites to show seriousness of intent. The job should be posted for a few months. Speaking Spanish cannot be mandatory.

You are trying to bring a family member. The program only opens up at the beginning of the year for only a select few. Most likely your family member will not be ready to apply in January so will need to wait until the program opens in 2024.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

Depending on where you live in Canada that will likely not be enough. If you look at your after tax income then subtract 35-40k you won’t be left with a lot to live on in any major city.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth

It’s a business number in that the payroll account falls under the business payroll account program , and it’ll be used for a caregiver not a business . Leave business name blank . The account would be in the name of the employers .And its MANDATORY. When you apply for a payroll number , you’ll be sent a PD7A, the IRCC will require that to show that you’ve registered to collect & remit payroll taxes for the caregiver. And FYI, if it’s a relative become aware of the implications of hiring a related person , and dealing at arms length for EI purposes.