+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A question for those who've already landed

Kriskats

Oct 28, 2004
I'm interested in knowing if you can apply for a health card (Ontario) if you've lived in the country for five months on a visitors visa but only two as a PR or if you absolutely have to wait three months before being able to apply.
I'm not unhappy waiting another month if I need to but since I'm still job hunting I've got the extra time to get this done and out of the way now if it's possible.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Kriskats said:
I'm interested in knowing if you can apply for a health card (Ontario) if you've lived in the country for five months on a visitors visa but only two as a PR or if you absolutely have to wait three months before being able to apply.
I'm not unhappy waiting another month if I need to but since I'm still job hunting I've got the extra time to get this done and out of the way now if it's possible.
It appears from : http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/program/ohip/ohipfaq_dt.html#Q1 that you will have to have been a PR for 3 months for OHIP.

PMM

Angie

Jan 12, 2006
You have to wait 3 months from either Permanent Residency or from Approval in Principal if applying from within Canada.

I have a friend who has lived legally in Canada for 2 1/2 years before getting the approval in principal and still had to wait 3 months from that date.