+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

A question for PMM

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

kingmaker said:
PMM,
What is passport checks, how it is different from Background checks???
King Maker
No such thing as passport checks, there are two background checks, one by CIC that checks out your employment, schooling, criminal record and another by CSIS (Canadian Security Intelligent Service) "Security screening procedures identify persons seeking admission who are, or have been, involved in espionage, subversion, or terrorism. CSIS may require an applicant to attend a security interview. Although applicants from certain nationalities will have a greater likelihood of undergoing security checks, information regarding the policies prompting security checks is "classified information" and not available to the general public. "

PMM

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
06-12-07/09-24-08/09-27-11
PMM - you seem to know somethings about security checks....

Is it possible to find out what prompted security checks in a specific case? Will the CAIPS notes reveal anything?

Any ideas about how long security checks typically take?

Lynn

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

locolynn said:
PMM - you seem to know somethings about security checks....

Is it possible to find out what prompted security checks in a specific case? Will the CAIPS notes reveal anything?

Any ideas about how long security checks typically take?

Lynn
1. Nope, CAIPS will not reflect it as CSIS either gives an approval or refusal on security grounds. Only if it makes it to appeal will some of the details be released.
2. Some less than a month, there is one reported at the federal court that was still on going after 4 years. If a person is in the military (depending on the which one) or has a government position or police, it usually stretches out the time. Also some countries don't really co-operate with CSIS so they must obtain information from other sources.

PMM

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
PMM,

Thanks for the info. I think were are 4 months into the security check. I think its the CSIS one - immigration will only tell me he's in the "security check" phase. Hopefully he'll be here soon!

Lynn

LCS

May 5, 2005
We got a photo copy of a document that said a security check "could take one year to 18 months" and by god, they made it take exactly ONE year to the week. Once information is obtained from inside the country you are applying with, the whole thing is sent back TO Canada to this CSIS department for even MORE time hung up with the investigation.

Better put your life and your hopes on hold until the day finally arrives that they come back to you saying the investigation is complete and things will set into motion again.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
How do you know when to count back from? The asked for more info in December.... How can I get that document or find out what kind of security check he is under?

Lynn

LCS

May 5, 2005
You count back from the date you know they have the documents in their possession to continue processing.
The type of security check depends on what they asked for? Was it military info. they were requesting? As PMM said, that takes longer like ours did. We were specifically asked in the first week of Feb 2007 to provide more detailed info. about my husband's military service so we know that's what it was hung up on, and it took them a year until first week of Feb 2008 just to confirm he was a supply office clerk. I enquired a few times and was told his military service was "still under investigation".
If it was just a police record or something similar it would have been taken at face value and added to the file, but I wouldn't think further security checks would then go on beyond that unless the particular country or embassy has more involved checks than what our basic police and judicial checks did.

locolynn

May 19, 2008
Category........
Visa Office......
Rabat
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-04-07
AOR Received.
08-06-07
Interview........
Thanks for answering my questions. It wasn't military - so let's hope it's all routine and it will be resolved soon!

Lynn